PDA

View Full Version : Number The Stars - By Lois Lowry - Needs Help On H/W

Galaxy
12-14-2009, 01:32 AM
What You Have To Do:
Ok, What you have to do is tell me which ways does Annemarie Johansen demonstrate bravery and courage? If you tell me all the ways I'll reward you with 2 GoldenSunfloras. The contest will only last 1 Hour and 30 minutes which will lead till 11:00PM PST time. So hurry up :P Also this is my homework hehe.

Prize:
GoldenSunflora♂ - Level: 124
GoldenSunflora♀ - Level: 95

killEr
12-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Bravery is an issue that Annemarie deals with throughout Number the Stars. She constantly tries to measure her own bravery against her parents' and Peter Neilsen's actions and bravery. Annemarie concludes that her fear will keep her from being brave. She hopes that she will never have to demonstrate her courage. But Annemarie is able to be brave when she must be. Uncle Henrik speaks to her about his own experience and admits to feeling fear, as she does. He helps Annemarie to see that doing something despite your fear is the truest form of bravery. This is a significant discovery for Annemarie because it allows her to see that adults are vulnerable, too. Because the people in Number the Stars experience fear, they are realistic. Lowry does not create a super-human heroine. She infuses Annemarie with the same concerns that any child might have, in a war or in regular life.

InviciL
12-14-2009, 01:50 AM
She demonstrate bravery and courage while she is delivering a mysterious package to her uncle, Henrik. She manages to conquer her fears and learns the real meaning of courage.
Her sister, Lisa died too in in the Danish Resistance. Since then, Annemarie becomes more brave and courage to encounter the Nazi soldier while she has to protect her friend, Ellen Rosen who is in danger because she is a Danish' Jew.

CChen28
12-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Set in 1943 when the Nazi occupied Denmark, 10-year-old Annemarie Johansen is asked to perform a heroic deed and aid her uncle in his efforts to smuggle Danish Jews across the sea to Sweden, where they will be safe. She has already lost her older sister, Lise, in the Danish Resistance, and now it appears that her best friend, Ellen Rosen, is in danger. The Johansen’s take in Ellen, while her parents are relocated somewhere outside of Copenhagen. When it becomes apparent that the Danish Jews aren’t safe, Mrs. Johansen takes her children and Ellen to Uncle Henrik’s house on the coast. Until now, Annemarie has accepted the secrets and unusual silence of her parents, but when it falls upon her to deliver a mysterious packet to Uncle Henrik’s fishing boat, she conquers her fears and learns the real meaning of courage.She saves Ellen from being killed by the German soldiers.

Verb
12-14-2009, 02:13 AM
OHMYGOSH YES! I read this book! These are my own words, no Google or Wikipedia.

Annemarie can be described in words such as being brave or courageous. She is accompanied by her uncle, Henrik, in a mission to smuggle the Jews to Sweden, where the Nazi's will not pursue the people living there. Her friend, Ellen, is also a Jew. The Johansen family invites Ellen to stay with them for a while. They know that if the Nazi's find out that the family is protecting a Jew, all of them will be killed. However, Nazi soldiers appear at their door and the Johansen family is in shock. Luckily, Annemarie's father comes up with a plan in order to prevent the soldiers from knowing what is going on. Later in the story, uncle Henrik performs another act of bravery, by attempting to get the Nazi officer's dogs to sniff his handkerchief which has some cocaine on it. Luckily, Henrik succeeds, and his first journey to smuggle Jews out of Denmark also succeeds. During the trip, Annemarie shows courage by following along. Lois Lowry has put much detail into Number the Stars. She writes the story filled with details, just as if it were happening.

Galaxy
12-14-2009, 02:16 AM
Only Verb describes it =D Anyways I finished this H/W like 3 hours ago. Just wanted to see who read the book. I will announce the winner in 44 Mins. The currently in the lead is I can't tell. Hint: The person starts with a V-E-R-B :)

Verb
12-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Ahh yay :)

Jas555555
12-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Ahh yay :)

someone quick make a new account named verby! jkjk. grats. :)

Verb
12-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Thanks, but the contest officially ends on 11:00 PM.

Jas555555
12-14-2009, 02:26 AM
2:27 pm here :P

Galaxy
12-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Verb knows since it's the same time as me :)

Verb
12-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Mhmm.. sorta.

Pkcore
12-14-2009, 02:55 AM
No Google or Wikipedia, but did refer to Verbipedia.
Yes I copy and pasted this and added a sentence.

Annemarie can be described in words such as being brave or courageous. She is accompanied by her uncle, Henrik, in a mission to smuggle the Jews to Sweden, where the Nazi's will not pursue the people living there. Her friend, Ellen, is also a Jew. The Johansen family invites Ellen to stay with them for a while. They know that if the Nazi's find out that the family is protecting a Jew, all of them will be killed. However, Nazi soldiers appear at their door and the Johansen family is in shock. Luckily, Annemarie's father comes up with a plan in order to prevent the soldiers from knowing what is going on. Later in the story, uncle Henrik performs another act of bravery, by attempting to get the Nazi officer's dogs to sniff his handkerchief which has some cocaine on it. Luckily, Henrik succeeds, and his first journey to smuggle Jews out of Denmark also succeeds. During the trip, Annemarie shows courage by following along. Lois Lowry has put much detail into Number the Stars. She writes the story filled with details, just as if it were happening. This is how Lois Lowry illustrated Annemarie Johansen's bravery and courage.

Verb
12-14-2009, 02:56 AM
o.o I have my own wiki :D

Galaxy
12-14-2009, 03:11 AM
It's kind of hard :O I'll decide tomorrow after I come home from school.

Verb
12-14-2009, 03:13 AM
Aw, alright, take your time! I'm still doing my HW.