PDA

View Full Version : Artist of the month

Ichigo Uzumaki
04-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Thought I'd try this out. Reviewing a band once a month to maybe give people an idea of what to listen to or not listen to if they are looking for something new to them.

So let's get started. This months band: The letter black.

The letter black which is a rather new band but has already managed to make it big the Christian music genre by touring with big name band "Skillet".

But talking Christian won't get me anywhere because the sound of these guys is not your typical Christian music. Here's a quick listen so you can see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zigHL2kw_M

They are probably considered "Hard Rock" more anything else even though they have a typical metal sound to them. They are not bad although you can make that choice for yourself from the above song but they aren't that great either.

They do have a good sound by man, they remind me of so many other bands as they lack an indivdual sound to really seperate themselves from the crowd. There's not really a whole lot to say about them except that, yes they are good but if you are looking for something brand new that's never been done before, this is not it.

If you don't mind something that you've heard before from a slightly new prespective this might be the band for you but I rate them about 3 of 5. Not bad but could be better.

So that's my review. Depending on how well this is recived I might try to do a better one in more detail early in may. So, let me know what you think.

Elixer
04-28-2010, 05:30 PM
I like their music.

(Btw, you spelled Christian wrong like 5 times.)

Ichigo Uzumaki
04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I like their music.

(Btw, you spelled Christian wrong like 5 times.)

Hard to do that when I only spelt it three times. And all I did was mix two letters by accident. Big Whoop. I fixed it so people like you won't complain about it but it's not a big deal or anything.

Shadowmire
04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Better than trash like Skillet, perhaps simply because of the slightly above-average dynamics. Yet, it's still laughably generic pop, and the catchiness alone isn't enough to make that song (one song is all I have to judge by) worth listening to more than once. Furthermore, while I'm mostly indifferent to lyrical content (good lyrics can make something much better, and very bad lyrics can have their own effect), when Christian bands try to sell their beliefs to a certain niche, such as the pseudo-goth trend, that always irritates me.

Reanimation
04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Hmm, that's quite good actually. But unlike Shadowmire, I still like Skillet more. D=

Gotta get this stuff on my pc too, though.

Xero
04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Should listen to better music imo

Absoyena
04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Hm, I like them, but I'd not listen to it all the time >>.. it's nice to hear a female voice again once in a while, and she's got a nice one at that. However the rest sounds..rather mediocre.

Ichigo Uzumaki
04-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Hm, I like them, but I'd not listen to it all the time >>.. it's nice to hear a female voice again once in a while, and she's got a nice one at that. However the rest sounds..rather mediocre.

That's basically a summary of what I thought.

Acrytex
04-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Since this months band was not well liked I decided to do the Artist of the month a day early!

Artist of the month
Disturbed

Disturbed is a heavy metal band from Chicago, Illinois, formed in 1996 when musicians Dan Donegan, Steve "Fuzz" Kmak, and Mike Wengren hired David Draiman as their singer. Since the band's formation, they have sold over 11 million albums worldwide, making them one of the largest grossing rock bands in recent years. The band has released three consecutive studio albums that have debuted at number-one on the Billboard 200.

Samples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVinwOpllQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSlOCEzRGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOWSNHwph7k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tsTgBKmhU

Ichigo Uzumaki
05-01-2010, 03:02 AM
The whole point of doing these is that you do them based on your opinion not what wiki says. I'll do a proper one in a day or two.

Acrytex
05-01-2010, 11:33 AM
The whole point of doing these is that you do them based on your opinion not what wiki says. I'll do a proper one in a day or two.

excuse me for wanting to say the same thing as the wiki did anyway

Ichigo Uzumaki
05-01-2010, 01:09 PM
excuse me for wanting to say the same thing as the wiki did anyway

You are excused.

NobleVillian
05-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Gorillaz hit it big with Plastic Beach, imo. I would vote for them.

Ichigo Uzumaki
05-03-2010, 05:32 AM
So, ever since posting the first artist of the month review, I've been trying in my free time to find a good second artist which led me to go through several different artists of more than one language. I thought to myself, maybe I should a Japanese artist, maybe I should something in English, Russian or something else entirely, than I came up with it. Why not do an artist who sings in more than one tounge. And so with that, I give this month's artist, Utada Hikaru.

Utada Hikaru who was born and raised in New York, New York, is quite the artist at only the age of 27. Most commonly know by her english fans for her Kingdom Hearts theme's such as "My Sanctuary" in Japan "Hikki" is more known for songs like "First love" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAkZkN3qpAY

Utada Hikaru is rare find in music as she sings english as clearly as she sings Japanese. Despite her age she has been singing for 15 years as her first hit song was at age 12 with her mother and their band called U3 or Utada 3.

In 1996 she started a solo career but it wouldn't be until two years later in 1998 when she moved to Toyko, where she'd really hit the mark. She relased the album "Precious" in Japan where is has sold over 700,000 copies to date and it did even better in the U.S. when translated here in 1999.

Since then, she's been doing all sorts of things like making themes for Kingdom Hearts, and the occasional anime intro along with a few other things.

Personally, I love just about everything I hear from Utada Hikaru and hope she has a long career ahead of her. She's got talent, heart can get away with pretty much any genre of music she pleases and can do it in more than one language. A very rare find in the musical world but given her familiy's musical history one can't be too suprised that she would be what she is and that makes her, the artist of the month. I give her a five of five and recomend her to anyone.

Xero
05-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Utada Hikaru and Tamaki Nami are probably my favourite two female singers, got most of their songs on my Archos

Zidane
05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Acrytex took my Band so I'll just go with what he said 8D

Ichigo Uzumaki
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
You wouldn't have any comments about a Japanese singer. XD.

Shadowmire
05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I like Utada Hikaru

Zidane
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
You wouldn't have any comments about a Japanese singer. XD.

WHo me? Lol, you know I dont listen to that. Well, not a whole lot. Not enough to know the peoples names.

Verb
05-12-2010, 01:04 AM
5/5. Great tune to the song. Plus, the girl's voice is a lot better than the other people.

Shadowmire
05-12-2010, 05:28 AM
I didn't even listen to whatever song is in the link

Absoyena
05-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Utada Hikaru is a great artist :) I really find her music to be a welcome change to what I usually listen to.

Ichigo Uzumaki
06-02-2010, 04:18 PM
And this month's artist is a mix of artists. Who are they, well, those who song the songs for the CD, "2 be a master". Lately I've been unable to get these songs out of my head and I still enjoy them all these years later. So ode to bold who took a chance to do a chansey dance. You all rock.

I guess technically the artist of the month would be John Loeffler who had the greastest influence on the CD but the name John Siegler comes in close second as well as several other artists. All in all you can't just pick one artist out of several different ones so they are June's artist(s) of the month.

Sienkronieze
06-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Songs

"Pokémon Theme" (John Siegler / John Loeffler)
"2BA Master" (Russell Velázquez / John Loeffler)
"Viridian City" (Neil Jason / John Loeffler)
"What Kind of Pokémon Are You?" (John Siegler / John Loeffler / Norman J. Grossfeld)
"My Best Friends" (Michael Whalen)
"Everything Changes" (Ken Cummings / John Loeffler)
"The Time Has Come (Pikachu's Goodbye)" (John Siegler / John Loeffler / Norman J. Grossfeld)
"Pokémon (Dance Mix)" (John Siegler / John Loeffler)
"Double Trouble (Team Rocket)" (Louis Cortelezzi / Bob Mayo / John Siegler / John Loeffler)
"Together Forever" (Ken Cummings / John Loeffler)
"Misty's Song" (Ken Cummings / John Loeffler)
"PokéRAP" (James "D Train" Williams / Babi Floyd)
"You Can Do It (If You Really Try)" (John Siegler / John Loeffler / Norman J. Grossfeld)

Wikipedia saves the day.

Ichigo Uzumaki
06-06-2010, 05:28 AM
Songs

"Pokémon Theme" (John Siegler / John Loeffler)
"2BA Master" (Russell Velázquez / John Loeffler)
"Viridian City" (Neil Jason / John Loeffler)
"What Kind of Pokémon Are You?" (John Siegler / John Loeffler / Norman J. Grossfeld)
"My Best Friends" (Michael Whalen)
"Everything Changes" (Ken Cummings / John Loeffler)
"The Time Has Come (Pikachu's Goodbye)" (John Siegler / John Loeffler / Norman J. Grossfeld)
"Pokémon (Dance Mix)" (John Siegler / John Loeffler)
"Double Trouble (Team Rocket)" (Louis Cortelezzi / Bob Mayo / John Siegler / John Loeffler)
"Together Forever" (Ken Cummings / John Loeffler)
"Misty's Song" (Ken Cummings / John Loeffler)
"PokéRAP" (James "D Train" Williams / Babi Floyd)
"You Can Do It (If You Really Try)" (John Siegler / John Loeffler / Norman J. Grossfeld)

Wikipedia saves the day.

Well what do you know, I knew that without looking at a wiki. Common sense like looking at the booklet for the CD saves the day.

Sienkronieze
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Common sense like think that not every one has an 11 year old CD saves the day.