PDA

View Full Version : Volume affects quality?

Cyber
04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
By this, I mean, when I listen to music I turn it up. I like the music better this way; I feel it makes the music more enjoyable to listen to. I don't like it so loud I can't hear it, but I keep it about 3/4 the way up the volume control. I don't know if I like it better this way because it keeps out all other sounds, or what.

Opinions?

Shadowmire
04-13-2010, 05:06 PM
That's entirely typical. I prefer it loud, as well. Headphones if necessary.

WlD
04-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I personally say that it depends on your speakers/headphones. No quality should go if you turn it up with good speakers/headphones.

Cyber
04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Yup. It doesn't really affect it coming out of speakers, but it works wonders through my headphones.

Iceman
04-13-2010, 08:46 PM
If it's too loud, you're too old.

Jefff
04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Yes, of course it affects the quality.

The major effect is the speakers, quality degrades when the speakers are turned up past the volume they were intended for, and to a lesser extent a cheap amp would probably hurt it.

The secondary affect is from the audio source, which is not infinite, nor often, high quality. The affect of turning up the volume is analogous to scaling an image, it's the same quality no matter the volume, but if you stretch it, it stays at the same quality, but is more noticeable.

I'm guessing that you are using computer speakers, so three quarters isn't very loud anyway. Cheap speakers sound louder at lower volumes because they're lower quality. The lowest my music goes when I'm actually listening to it on my stereo is about as loud as I would ever turn up music on computer speakers.

Shadowmire
04-13-2010, 09:01 PM
I thought about giving that type of answer, but I was pretty sure that wasn't really what he was asking...

Tenshi
04-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I can enjoy music better when I hear it better, but I don't like it very loud. I have a disorder that makes me extremely sensitive to sound so having music up very loudly would give me headaches with excruciating pain. XD /lame

Absoyena
04-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I can enjoy music better when I hear it better, but I don't like it very loud. I have a disorder that makes me extremely sensitive to sound so having music up very loudly would give me headaches with excruciating pain. XD /lame

Now I remember who that girl reminded me of >>..it was you D:. No, but seriously, I had a girl in my class once, she was blond, like you, and had glasses and all. And she was extremely sensitive to background noise I believe, so she most of the time was wearing Headphones to block out background noises. I can't remember what her name was though. Also, her hair was almost white >>.. Oh right, Suzanne was her name.

Eh..on topic: Yeah, I like music better and/or get a better experience when I turn it up. Though I try to not turn it up too far, else I'll either get mad neighbours and/or bad hearing.

Jefff
04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
In the summer, I have to listen to Jazz or else my parents will complain when my window is open

Iceman
04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
In the summer, I have to listen to Jazz or else my parents will complain when my window is open

In The Summer, I blast vinyls with my father, but the party is over once momma comes home. D:

Deimos
04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Eh... normally I just have it to where I can hear it clearly. I prefer to keep my hearing, thanks. But I can put up with cranked-up music, having been surrounded by that.