PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, proof of REAL "Mermen/Mermaids" exists

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 10:43 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/05/26/arts/26MERMEAIDS/26MERMEAIDS-articleInline.jpg

Note: Above picture is a CGI Image of what they're believed to look like.

Link: http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/mermaids-the-body-found.html

More Videos: http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/animal-planet-presents/videos/mermaids-the-body-found-mermaid-sightings-throughout-history.htm

Discuss.

Ignoring the impressive CGI representations of the creatures this show is about, you have to remind yourself it's all hypothetical. Even if you were to take the scientists', Retired Soldier and Fishermens' stories/footage at face value, the idea that these creatures are our genetic relatives isn't something I'm willing to believe without more proof than what was given. I was almost convinced these creatures exist but I certainly haven't been convinced they're an aquatic version of us. The evidence presented may lead you to believe that but given the decisive evidence was never produced AND the evidence discovered was discounted because of how insufficient it was...can't say they're part man.

I did take three things from this 2-hour special, though:

1. The US Navy might know something about this (obviously). I'm not denying that *Dons Tin Foil Hat* I'm not gonna claim ignorance but if they're going out of their way to keep this creature's existence from the public (Investigating all alleged sightings worldwide), they must have their reasons. Considering the US Navy is the most powerful in the world and has a presence prettymuch EVERYWHERE you can put a boat...yeah.

2. One of the scientists falsely stated we know more about the moon than we do the deepest reaches of the oceans. That's only half-true and goes a bit with the above statement. The US Navy has been testing deep-sea vehicles in the Marinara Trench (Called "The Final Frontier On Earth" by some) for nearly 20 years. If the cellphone video and the CGI videos are to be believed then these Merfolk are constantly on the move. Therefore, the scientist is contradicted there.

3. Most obviously: If there have been worldwide sightings throughout the ages as this "Shockumentary" and myth would suggest, the creature would have been identified by now. The "teaser" shots only showing the creature from behind (humanoid head and fin) or an arm waving in a fisherman's net AND the lack of a followup investigation of these sightings by the science community is very telling. See, the NOAA Scientists must have been doing some stuff not mentioned in the documentary to have been followed by US and South African Officials. It's the only possible explaination otherwise the South African Government would have wanted their research to be made public (given South Africa is considered by most to be the birthplace of humanity).

When it comes down to it for me: These creatures might exist and if they did they're probably not related to humans. The science community has already discounted the Aquatic Ape Theory presented in the film.

Baracuda23
08-07-2012, 10:52 AM
I believe they do exist. The cell phone footage was a little suspect, but most stuff on those documentarys are.

I believe because there are so many civilizations that report the same creature when they are on opposite sides of the planet. Ancient English people didnt have the ability to communicate with the Chinese on a wide scale.

Also that cave drawing they showed was interesting. I havent been able to find any more information on it, but if it were real it would be very eye opening. And the fish spears and such they talked about were also interesting.

I dont know if they are related to humans. If evolution is true it could be possible. Otherwise they might be a seal like creature that resemles a human shape.

And the oceans really are undiscovered places, as far as the public is concerned. Whether the government knows more, that is for the coverup folk to figure out. But it is true that we discover new species every day in the ocean so why cant there be another one?

f00sh
08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Not even close to being the best hoax I've seen. The video footage is garbage tier at best. If you really believe in something like this, videos like this should break your heart because on the off chance there really is some legitimate footage of this crypto creatures, scientists and skeptics will always throw it out because of the vast history of fakes before it.

Hoax videos waste the time of individuals trying to actually solve possibilities. It's a tragedy.

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I wish to stress I never believed it. After all, AP says before and after it starts this is a work of Fiction.

The only part that is based on fact is the Bloop Recording, which is real. No one knows what it is though.

It's also been proven the Navy's Sonar testing effects whales and many are convinced it's the reason for the mass strandings in recent years.

Gaara of the Funk
08-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I think my IQ just dropped.

f00sh
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I wish to stress I never believed it. After all, AP says before and after it starts this is a work of Fiction.

The only part that is based on fact is the Bloop Recording, which is real. No one knows what it is though.

It's also been proven the Navy's Sonar testing effects whales and many are convinced it's the reason for the mass strandings in recent years.

I have read a lot into the Bloop, and what is being said here isn't entirely correct. There are a huge number of explanations or possibilities for the Bloop. Some are as small as equipment malfunctions, and diagnostic beeps. Although, it should be noted that the deep sea is indeed a place not very explored. Even if it isn't due to known circumstances, it is very possible it's something undiscovered as of now. Nothing paranormal about it as of yet.

Baracuda23
08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I have read a lot into the Bloop, and what is being said here isn't entirely correct. There are a huge number of explanations or possibilities for the Bloop. Some are as small as equipment malfunctions, and diagnostic beeps. Although, it should be noted that the deep sea is indeed a place not very explored. Even if it isn't due to known circumstances, it is very possible it's something undiscovered as of now. Nothing paranormal about it as of yet.

nope,doesnt have to be paranormal. just a different species of seal or something.

and Lost Tapes was awesome until their videos became so faked it wasnt even funny

bigboel
08-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Seal of approval.

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 12:12 PM

That might well be true but the fact remains no one knows for sure what the Bloop is. It could be an undiscovered species or it may have been a deep-sea submersible that happened to be passing by.

If the purpose of this Work of Fiction was to renew interest in Deepsea Exploration, I tip my hats to them. As Hitler once said, people will more easily fall for a big lie than a small one. Think what you want about the man but he was certainly right about that XD

|∞|
08-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I think this Pic of a mermaid (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/190/c/8/One_Piece___Mermaid_by_marcshort.jpg) , pic of a merman (http://cyberd.org/img/1/One-Piece-38.jpg) are much clearer than those in the first video

...dont really believe in them, after spending years at sea people start seeing/making up things and some people who believe anything will spear what they heard..or thats wat i think

Gaara of the Funk
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I think this Pic of a mermaid (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/190/c/8/One_Piece___Mermaid_by_marcshort.jpg) , pic of a merman (http://cyberd.org/img/1/One-Piece-38.jpg) are much clearer than those in the first video

Lmao.

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Updated my OP for the purposes of clarification.

Norsekerf
08-07-2012, 12:50 PM
why can't you be more black bolt? there's hardly any of your sort on the internet

DarKing
08-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Given that you can find myths about mermaids in different cultures somtimes unrelated to each other throughout history makes me believe mermaids maybe existed or exist.
If you take the anything is possible approach and have an open mind than it is possible also mermaid stories first appeared in ancient Assyria 1000 B.C
But i think the videos and pics are just pure crap and actually instead of making me believe in mermaids they make me think the opposite lmao.

litld
08-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I believe they are in a secret alliance with the Poecifers.

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Here's a link to the full video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPWHPyU1u4

Jefff
08-07-2012, 02:38 PM
If you take the anything is possible approach and have an open mind than it is possible also mermaid stories first appeared in ancient Assyria 1000 B.C

If you believe that anything is possible than you believe that mermaids are possible. Wonderful observation.

And what do you mean by you don't think they're related to humans? You don't think they're related to humans the way cats aren't related to humans? If we discovered a new species that wasn't related to humans the conclusive disproof of common ancestry would be much more interesting than something that looks like a mix between a fish and a human.

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't usually drop this site as a reference but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis

Also called the Aquatic Ape Theory, it's an idea proposed by Max Westenhöfer in 1942 and now popularly touted by Welsh Screenwriter Elaine Morgan. This theory is the main base the film uses in trying to convince you Merfolk not only exist but are Homonids who differently. According to the theory early humans developed many of the characteristics present in marine mammals including webbed hands, loss of all hair and enlarged retinas for underwater sight. The main differences from the film is they never left land for good and thus never lost their legs in favor of fins.

The problem is it's been rejected by the science community as that article I linked highlights. The fact of the matter is the basis in its belief has no real case studies or fossil evidence to back it up.

Thus, there is no connection to humans.

_Mew_
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
TLDR.

Mermaid don't exist.

Cocobanana
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
How can you beleive in this crap?
LOL

_sticks_
08-07-2012, 05:02 PM

It's also possible that you were born a mermaid, had surgery, and was raised as a human...

The "anything's possible" angle doesn't help a lot when discussing the existence of an unknown being. A lot like discussions of God...

Wait a minute...

I have an idea for a big art attack!

Cocobanana
08-07-2012, 05:04 PM
The Mermaids: Body Found "documentary" was a completely ficticious show and the "scientists" in the show were television actors. It even says so at the end of the show. It was purely for entertainment purposes.

Mermaids as depicted in mythology are not real. There is a possibility that there is some undiscovered species in the ocean that resembles a mermaid, but they would in no way be related to humans.

RaySoul
08-07-2012, 06:56 PM
That smells like photoshop, to the bone.

I mean I do believe such creatures exist, hidden deep within the world and hidden from the public media and such, but that just seems obviously set up and stuff.

Never heard about the reptilians living under the earth? It's similar to that mermaid story/myth.

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Mermaids as depicted in mythology are not real. There is a possibility that there is some undiscovered species in the ocean that resembles a mermaid, but they would in no way be related to humans.

That's what I said fro mthe beginning.

_Mew_
08-07-2012, 07:21 PM
That's what I said fro mthe beginning.

Yeah, they are called Manatees. o .o

Jefff
08-07-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't usually drop this site as a reference but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis

Also called the Aquatic Ape Theory, it's an idea proposed by Max Westenhöfer in 1942 and now popularly touted by Welsh Screenwriter Elaine Morgan. This theory is the main base the film uses in trying to convince you Merfolk not only exist but are Homonids who differently. According to the theory early humans developed many of the characteristics present in marine mammals including webbed hands, loss of all hair and enlarged retinas for underwater sight. The main differences from the film is they never left land for good and thus never lost their legs in favor of fins.

The problem is it's been rejected by the science community as that article I linked highlights. The fact of the matter is the basis in its belief has no real case studies or fossil evidence to back it up.

Thus, there is no connection to humans.

Yes, but if these mermaids are not at all related to humans, this would be really shocking because it would be conclusive disproof of common ancestry of all living things. If common ancestry is true, which there is little reason to believe it isn't, then humans are related to every living thing.

_sticks_
08-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Yes, but if these mermaids are not at all related to humans, this would be really shocking because it would be conclusive disproof of common ancestry of all living things. If common ancestry is true, which there is little reason to believe it isn't, then humans are related to every living thing.

Then the only hope for science would be to prove we're aliens, or we'd just have to sit back and enjoy the knowledge that we were created by God :egg_haha:

Aurabolt
08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
The NOAA was very careful in their statement after this film was released to say the existence of Mermaids hasn't been proven. The AAH HAS been disproven, though. No factual basis to support it has been presented by Morgan for it to be even considered as a possibility. Evidence disproving it has, hence why AAH is considered fantasy.

Getting back to our debate though, I'll paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson: The absence of evidence doesn't necessarily mean the evidence of absence.

Alot of people wouldn't have believed dinosaurs really existed if evidence didn't exist on all seven existing continents (in fact, until they were properly identified people mistook them for dragons).

I believe that at one time Atlantis was the 8th continent between Africa and South America. Traces of a civilization completely different from South America and Africa have been found in the area Atlantis would have occupied. Although proof of its existence is inconclusive, I think it once existed.

Ehtesham
08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
I love Photoshop

Jefff
08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
The NOAA was very careful in their statement after this film was released to say the existence of Mermaids hasn't been proven. The AAH HAS been disproven, though. No factual basis to support it has been presented by Morgan for it to be even considered as a possibility. Evidence disproving it has, hence why AAH is considered fantasy.

Getting back to our debate though, I'll paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson: The absence of evidence doesn't necessarily mean the evidence of absence.

Alot of people wouldn't have believed dinosaurs really existed if evidence didn't exist on all seven existing continents (in fact, until they were properly identified people mistook them for dragons).

I believe that at one time Atlantis was the 8th continent between Africa and South America. Traces of a civilization completely different from South America and Africa have been found in the area Atlantis would have occupied. Although proof of its existence is inconclusive, I think it once existed.

I am not arguing whether this aquatic ape hypothesis is true or not, I'm arguing that for every single new species we find, it will be related to us. This will be true to if mermaids are found to exist. If we do find a species that is not related to us (whether or not this be mermaids) the fact that it is not related to us will be a lot more interesting to science than whether or not it's a mermaid.

DarkRex
08-08-2012, 06:05 AM
How can you beleive in this crap?
LOL
the same way some people believe in god, and everything in the bible