PDA

View Full Version : Why is it socially acceptable to actively watch southpark, family guy

Jefff
02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
But it's not socially acceptable to have read Lolita?

I don't get people.

[edit] This is specifically about people around 13-20

Truth
02-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Take a moment to consider the proportion of sheep to goats; especially concerning the suggested demographics.

Absoyena
02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Good question. I really don't have a good answer. I think it's because "everyone watches Family Guy/South Park" but not "everyone" has read Lolita..

Really depends on your culture though. (And by culture, I mean the environment you grow up in, I personally didn't watch South Park/Family Guy until I was well over 15/16 years old, because my mom didn't like it AND it was on rather late)

Ichigo Uzumaki
02-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't know. It's like a bad versus good. Bad being south park and family guy good being Lolita. Bad is popular good is not. Just how it works.

BattleDance
02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Take a moment to consider the proportion of sheep to goats; especially concerning the suggested demographics.

For the first time since the suicide debate, I agree with you, Truth.

Jefff
02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Out of curiosity; how many of you have read Lolita?

Truth
02-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Out of curiosity; how many of you have read Lolita?

Regrettably I haven't. I was not even remotely stupefied to find that my local library didn't have Lolita.

Ironically, though, South Park is shown on my national "multicultural and multilingual broadcaster", during prime time. Family Guy is consistently churned out on the most popular commercial network; yet the majority of libraries lack many literary masterpieces and classic novels, not limited to Lolita.

Sci
02-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I haven't read the book so I am going off wiki here but as I see it the main difference is the shows listed are comedy and everyone knows they are not serious, while the same cannot be said for the book.

Before anyone decides to flare up over my post remember that I have not read the book and only glanced at the wiki entry.

Jefff
02-06-2010, 10:43 PM
That's the problem Sci, no one who criticizes it has read the book.

(Well, a lot of people who have read it have criticized it, but that's a different topic).

Iceman
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
After reading the summary, it sounds amazing.

Jeff, irony, my friend.....irony.

Illuminati
02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I think some of it has to do with the aforementioned are tv shows and do not require much effort to watch or understand. Reading a book requires more time and comprehension.

The book Lolita itself is not written as a comedy or a satire. For the same reason, I wouldn't let a child watch the movie of it, either.

Jefff
02-21-2010, 05:11 PM
You would let a child watch southpark, but you wouldn't let a child watch Lolita?