PDA

View Full Version : RPG Battle Revamp

Shrimpy
03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Later today, you'll notice some changes in the battle system and I just wanted to give everyone a quick heads up of exactly what was changing.

As mentioned in the TPPC Online RPG Moves subforum, since the launch of v8 there has been a bug with both the X items (X Speed, X Special, X Attack, etc) and confusion. In the case of the first item, rather than increasing your speed/special/attack/etc. by 10% as it should have, it was actually increasing it by 10 base points. In the case of confusion damage was being miscalculated and Pokemon were doing damage to themselves based on the damage they would have done to their opponent. This is what made the level 5 Gastly strategies so strong in our harder battles. The high leveled Pokemon were doing confusion damage to themselves equal to the damage they would have done to the Gastly. As of later today, that will be fixed.

On it's own, that would make many of the current RPG challenges impossible. No one would be able to beat the Legend or several other battles. Because of this, later today many battles will be getting re-balanced as far as leveling is concerned. I've tried to scale things to appropriate levels, but please note that these levels aren't necessarily permanent. If the battles become too easy levels will be boosted. If they are still impossible, they'll be scaled down. The goal is to get things balanced to the point where things are challenging, but possible. It's going to require strategy though. That's for sure.

In addition to this, there are a couple more changes coming. First, I've enabled "Shift" style battling in the RPG, meaning that after an opponent faints, you'll have the option to switch to a different Pokemon before your opponent's next Pokemon comes out. Secondly, I'm adding a new item to the RPG: Quick Claw. For those of you familiar with it from the game, Quick Claw gives you a 18.75% chance to go first in battle, regardless of your opponent's level. It's attached to a Pokemon currently on maps and is available now.

In non-battle news, as you've noticed all the Pokemon sprites have been switched to Generation 5. This will allow me to add the Generation 5 Pokemon into the Pokedex and then start releasing them little bit little. I have no idea when they'll all be out, but my plan is to release the first one this coming Monday. It will be on a map and (this Pokemon in particular) will be available Monday and then not available again for quite a while. Also, if something looks weird (the breeding pages, move selection, battle pages, etc) press refresh in your browser. That will fix the issue.

Everything will go into effect later today. I'll make another post here when I've pushed it live.

Shrimpy
03-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Battle related changes are now live and will take effect in all new (and some current) battles.