PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Review

Ichigo Uzumaki
01-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Let's me just say the film was great. It's starred a small cast of about 10 or 11 believable characters and unlike a child fantasy had some deep emotional quality to it.

The story is that Jake Sully takes his dead brothers place and assumes the role of an avatar that looks like the blue race of people found on the planet Pandora. He meets one village's princess and from there the story progresses well without going too fast.

The characters develop well and without a whole lot of uneeded fill. Jake Sully begins to understand the people through his avatar and begins to build a good bond with them.

Sadly, two people I liked died but inspite that I was really impressed with how they managed to put so much detail into all that happened during the 2 hours and 40 minutes of the movie. One thing I will say about development was that one character on the human side started seeminly to gain consious but it was never really explored and if had been, it would have been a nice add to the movie.

The fights were great. Depsite them being in na outlandish world the fights were believable and Jake Sully did feel pain. He actually got hurt, as did the rest of them.

Overall the movie was spectacular even with the uneeded use of profanity and I would have to say it deversves a 9.5/10. I recommned to any movie-going fan.

war of time
01-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Just wondering, were you restless? The last 2 hour plus movie I saw was King Kong, and I hated it.

Ichigo Uzumaki
01-01-2010, 03:17 AM
That's another thing. The move did a good job of keeping you interested. Even if you are the fighting type of person the noe fighting part really made the film and carried it well. I was never restless once.

f00sh
01-01-2010, 03:36 AM
9.5/10 for Pocahontas: 3D? I disagree.

Ichigo Uzumaki
01-01-2010, 03:39 AM
9.5/10 for Pocahontas: 3D? I disagree.

How can it be pochontas? There were no talking trees.

war of time
01-01-2010, 03:41 AM
Similar plot, I suppose. And the real acting out is always better than the animation.

Ichigo Uzumaki
01-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Similar plot, I suppose. And the real acting out is always better than the animation.

Only slighty and that can be said for films before and after Pocahontas.

Castform
01-01-2010, 04:54 AM
While I can't say that it was my favorite film of 2009 (Up! still trumps it), but I was expect a film much worse than what I I received. And while the story was predictable in pretty much every way possible, the work done on the CGI & artistry/fantasy was amazing and set a new bar for any film using it.

DarkPlayerz
01-01-2010, 06:32 AM
The movie was quite good.. Not really the best one out there, but it deserves respect..

Loved the animation.. =o

war of time
01-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Yea, Up! was definately one of my favorites, although 2010 and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs came close for me.

Red
01-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Horrible storyline. Crappy fights. Only thing good was the graphics. The scenery of the setting was amazing with all the digital enhancements. Either then that not worth the watch in my opinion. I don't know why everyone is saying it so good. This was hyped up too much with all the "From the directors of Titanic .....etc."

Overall 5.5/10

f00sh
01-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Horrible storyline. Crappy fights. Only thing good was the graphics. The scenery of the setting was amazing with all the digital enhancements. Either then that not worth the watch in my opinion. I don't know why everyone is saying it so good. This was hyped up too much with all the "From the directors of Titanic .....etc."

Overall 5.5/10

I like the way you think.

CGI is not impressive at all to me in any movie, so I would rate it even lower. But you nailed it on the head.

Ichigo Uzumaki
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Overall 5.5/10

If you listen to, expect and rate something based on hype you can't be taken seriously. Sorry, just how it is.

baseball101
01-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I jus watched it yesterday

Xaddion
01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I like the way you think.

CGI is not impressive at all to me in any movie, so I would rate it even lower. But you nailed it on the head.

It's a lot more impressive when they use actual props and settings. Nowadays, they focus more on CGI than actual plot and end up pumping out Special Effects Crapfests with the same "Hey guys look at this awesome CGI tree we spent millions making on a computer!" BS.

Ichigo Uzumaki
01-01-2010, 04:25 PM
It's a lot more impressive when they use actual props and settings. Nowadays, they focus more on CGI than actual plot and end up pumping out Special Effects Crapfests with the same "Hey guys look at this awesome CGI tree we spent millions making on a computer!" BS.

If you can't talk about anything besides CG you've got nothing to talk about. There's more to the movie then that.

f00sh
01-01-2010, 06:02 PM
If you can't talk about anything besides CG you've got nothing to talk about. There's more to the movie then that.

Like what? The predictable storyline? The no-name actors?

Ichigo Uzumaki
01-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Like what? The predictable storyline? The no-name actors?

I'm not wasting any more time beyond this post with you f00sh. Once your opininated there's not point in it because you always have to be right and won't hear anything else. Maybe when you can actually talk about something without acting like sauv and Poe we'll talk but otherwise, it's just you flaming whatever you hate like a child. In fact, welcome to my ignore list. When you can start posting a little more civil like we might talk again but otherwise your posts do not exist.

By the way, don't think it was just this post that led me to do this, I've just been notcing lately how much you remind me pf the two people I disliked the most in my time here.

f00sh
01-01-2010, 07:20 PM
And yet you couldn't provide any information to lead me to believe otherwise regarding this movie. I don't really care who you compare me too considering (obviously based on your love for this movie) your opinion means absolutely nothing. Oh, and since you decided to cry instead of stay on topic to counter my facts regarding this movie, I guess you're right, I will remain closed minded because I have seen or heard nothing to even remotely make me consider changing my mind.

I don't know what I will do with myself being on your ignore list. My only goal in life is to seek your approval and acceptance. Get over yourself, who gives a damn.

Jefff
01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
We have ignore lists? Sweet, tppc suddenly looks smarter without f00sh (btw f00sh, I know you don't care if I ignore you).

[edit] On the topic of avatar, it was okay, way longer than I like movies to be though. It looked good, but other than that it was nothing special to me.

f00sh
01-01-2010, 07:34 PM
We have ignore lists? Sweet, tppc suddenly looks smarter without f00sh (btw f00sh, I know you don't care if I ignore you).

[edit] On the topic of avatar, it was okay, way longer than I like movies to be though. It looked good, but other than that it was nothing special to me.

lol... At least you know a good movie when you see it.

01-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I havent seen it yet, and Im not planning on watching it anytime soon though.

genuinewicked
01-01-2010, 08:13 PM
That's another thing. The move did a good job of keeping you interested. Even if you are the fighting type of person the noe fighting part really made the film and carried it well. I was never restless once.

I completly agree! To tell you the truth, I had no idea the movie had been that long until after I was out of the theater. It was absolutely brilliant! And the 3D was quite amazing as well. :smile:

Absoyena
01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
The heavy snowfall/mass crowds stopped me from watching the movie up until now, but I'll say this one thing: It's gotta be something massive to topple my current favorite movie: Up!

SangoLove
01-05-2010, 01:10 AM
The CGI was pretty sweet. I love how the story correlates to an extent with what actually happened to the Aboriginal peoples in real life.