Welcome to the TPPC Trainer's Corner.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Unread 03-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #51
Splurge
Pokémon Trainer

TPPC: #4879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
Eek, Sigma 17-50mm sorry. I do have my 18-55mm kit lense still as well, I just forgot I use it so infrequently it's gathering dust.

I absolutely love my 14mm Rokinon. Definitely going to get more Rokinon's in the future the build quality is just amazing and nothing I've used compares. It's great for landscapes and long exposures which is mainly what I use it for.

For accessories I have a ton of things. Pack of 2,4,6 ND filters, Dolica Tripod, Neewer Video Light, Neewer external flash, tons of polarizers/uv filters, and a monopod.

Basic stuff, but haven't needed anything else up to this point.
Lol. Okay, I have to ask. Why would you want to buy a Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 when you already have the Sigma 17-50mm? They cover the same focal length.

If you like the Rokinon 14mm, then you'll probably love the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4. The optics, from my understanding, are much better on the 85mm. I am very happy with the build quality of Rokinon, it isn't the best or worst in my line up; however, I don't know if I'd buy another one...the exception being their 8mm fisheye lens (if I ever go that route and want to waste money)..

It sounds like you're off to a good start for accessories. How do you like your Dolica tripod? I just picked one of these up to replace my 20-30 year old tripod that...is on it's last leg, quite literally--one won't close and one won't stay open. XD I was very hesitant to order such a cheap one...kind of curious for it to arrive.
Splurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #52
Fading
DarkVaporeon Master

TPPC: #347533

Not at the moment, but I eventually want to upgrade to two Mark ii's so would want 2 17-55's. My list of what I need to buy is getting very long and expensive. Going to have to stick with what I have for now, but am hoping if I get as many gigs as I have been recently that I'll be able to get at least one Mark ii soon.

My Dolica is okay I really want a Manfrotto though. Been busy -- lots of gigs all over the west coast. Just got a really awesome little portable softbox I've been having fun with though.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/550072541963458548/

Posting a few pics but am off to Hawaii in a few days. More pictures to come.

First time trying astrophotography for real. Pushed my camera to its limits so it's not as good as I'd like

From a wedding I just did on Saturday. Was the videographer so didn't take many pics.

And a gig I had recently collaborating with an author who is doing a book about alopecia. This is one of the girls in it, Joanna.

Random long exposures I took in Vegas the night before the wedding.

Alycia's Photography
Ethereal Origins

Last edited by Fading; 04-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #53
Splurge
Pokémon Trainer

Quote:
Not at the moment, but I eventually want to upgrade to two Mark ii's so would want 2 17-55's. My list of what I need to buy is getting very long and expensive. Going to have to stick with what I have for now, but am hoping if I get as many gigs as I have been recently that I'll be able to get at least one Mark ii soon.

My Dolica is okay I really want a Manfrotto though. Been busy -- lots of gigs all over the west coast. Just got a really awesome little portable softbox I've been having fun with though.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/550072541963458548/

Posting a few pics but am off to Hawaii in a few days. More pictures to come.
Which Mark II's are you wanting? Several bodies are in Mark II phases now. Do you use a remote shutter release on your long exposures?

I recently purchased the Canon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO (it's so tiny!!), so now my list is mostly complete aside from new filters and maybe a few odds and ends. My old filters are too small and vignette on my Canon 10-22mm. :( I will probably have to drop about $400-$500 (at least) on filters now. The only lens I kind of still want is a Canon 100-400mm with an extender, but that's just a 'for fun' lens. I guess there are a couple of older, discontinued lenses that I would pick up if I could find them for sale somewhere. Of course, with photography there is always more to add or upgrade to!! But I try not to think about any of that too much. I will probably eventually upgrade into something from the Canon 7D line. As far as tripods go, I'd really like a good Gitzo carbon fiber tripod! But with how little tripods are used anymore...it's pretty much just a waste of money that'd be better spent on a lens or something. :(

I still need to get a website up and going. QQ
Unread 04-21-2015, 01:18 AM   #54
Fading
DarkVaporeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splurge View Post
Which Mark II's are you wanting? Several bodies are in Mark II phases now. Do you use a remote shutter release on your long exposures?

I recently purchased the Canon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO (it's so tiny!!), so now my list is mostly complete aside from new filters and maybe a few odds and ends. My old filters are too small and vignette on my Canon 10-22mm. :( I will probably have to drop about $400-$500 (at least) on filters now. The only lens I kind of still want is a Canon 100-400mm with an extender, but that's just a 'for fun' lens. I guess there are a couple of older, discontinued lenses that I would pick up if I could find them for sale somewhere. Of course, with photography there is always more to add or upgrade to!! But I try not to think about any of that too much. I will probably eventually upgrade into something from the Canon 7D line. As far as tripods go, I'd really like a good Gitzo carbon fiber tripod! But with how little tripods are used anymore...it's pretty much just a waste of money that'd be better spent on a lens or something. :(

I still need to get a website up and going. QQ
Yeah there's always things you can buy. I did a bunch of research and I think my next upgrade will be a 6D. It's very comparable to the Mark II and is substantially cheaper. Few gigs lined up within the next few months so thinking in about 3 months I'll be able to buy it.

Hey, don't knock a good tripod! I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I do a lot of long exposures so it's critical I have a good tripod. For most paying gigs though I don't use one so don't actually "need one" I guess but long exposures are too fun. Cityscapes are so fun and now I'm discovering astrophotography as well. What filters are you looking to get that are that expensive? Lee filters? Jeez, I can't even justify spending that much on filters yet. Get your website up! It helps me a lot for driving traffic and I get lots of inquiries through it, personally.

Alycia's Photography
Ethereal Origins
Unread 04-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #55
Splurge
Pokémon Trainer

Quote:
Yeah there's always things you can buy. I did a bunch of research and I think my next upgrade will be a 6D. It's very comparable to the Mark II and is substantially cheaper. Few gigs lined up within the next few months so thinking in about 3 months I'll be able to buy it.

Hey, don't knock a good tripod! I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I do a lot of long exposures so it's critical I have a good tripod. For most paying gigs though I don't use one so don't actually "need one" I guess but long exposures are too fun. Cityscapes are so fun and now I'm discovering astrophotography as well. What filters are you looking to get that are that expensive? Lee filters? Jeez, I can't even justify spending that much on filters yet. Get your website up! It helps me a lot for driving traffic and I get lots of inquiries through it, personally.
I still don't know which MkII you are talking about, but I am going to assume it is the 5D since you are comparing it to the 6D. The Tamron 17-55mm lenses won't work on the 6D or 5D...they only work on crop-sensor cameras. In fact, you may want to go through all your lenses and see if you have any you will need to replace if you upgrade into full-frame. That Sigma you listed earlier may be crop-sensor only like the comparable Tamron 17-55mm. I don't remember what else you had.

I had (still have) a really sturdy tripod...and it was heavy and kind of a pain. And, I've beaten it up on so many trips and it's pretty much shot. I just leave it in my car as a backup because I will ALWAYS forget my tripod when I go on a trip. I use mine only for long exposures...which I do so few and far between that I don't see any reason to spend a lot on one in this day and age. The only thing I will probably use it for more often is macro photography...and for that I definitely don't need an expensive one.

I have to get new filters. My cheapy Cokin P-series vignette at 14mm on my Canon 10-22mm. Cokin makes bigger filters, but they're so expensive that I might as well buy Lee filters.

I almost started the website the other day, then kind of put it off again. I don't know what my goal with it is.
Unread 05-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #56
Fading
DarkVaporeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splurge View Post
I still don't know which MkII you are talking about, but I am going to assume it is the 5D since you are comparing it to the 6D. The Tamron 17-55mm lenses won't work on the 6D or 5D...they only work on crop-sensor cameras. In fact, you may want to go through all your lenses and see if you have any you will need to replace if you upgrade into full-frame. That Sigma you listed earlier may be crop-sensor only like the comparable Tamron 17-55mm. I don't remember what else you had.

I had (still have) a really sturdy tripod...and it was heavy and kind of a pain. And, I've beaten it up on so many trips and it's pretty much shot. I just leave it in my car as a backup because I will ALWAYS forget my tripod when I go on a trip. I use mine only for long exposures...which I do so few and far between that I don't see any reason to spend a lot on one in this day and age. The only thing I will probably use it for more often is macro photography...and for that I definitely don't need an expensive one.

I have to get new filters. My cheapy Cokin P-series vignette at 14mm on my Canon 10-22mm. Cokin makes bigger filters, but they're so expensive that I might as well buy Lee filters.

I almost started the website the other day, then kind of put it off again. I don't know what my goal with it is.
Yes the 5D. I just always refer to it as the Mark II, personally. But yeah if you're not doing long exposures they're fairly useless. I tried taking one to a portrait session once and it ended up just sitting there. Yeah Lee filters are AMAZING though. I tested a friends and was blown away. I had a nice budget for an upgrade but ended up just spending it all on my anniversary present for my boyfriend -- so maybe in a few more months haha.

Here's a few pics from a shoot of some kids going to prom. Was using my boyfriends new 28-135mm Canon. Older but it really was a great deal considering it has IS and USM ... $160.

And some pics I took in Maui a few days ago with my trusty 14mm Rokinon.

We came out blurry since it was a 30 second exposure but I liked it.

We ended up stuck in the middle of a tropical thunderstorm (Can see the water on the lense).

Night shot in front of our Airbnb.

Alycia's Photography
Ethereal Origins
Unread 05-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #57
Splurge
Pokémon Trainer

Quote:
Yes the 5D. I just always refer to it as the Mark II, personally. But yeah if you're not doing long exposures they're fairly useless. I tried taking one to a portrait session once and it ended up just sitting there. Yeah Lee filters are AMAZING though. I tested a friends and was blown away. I had a nice budget for an upgrade but ended up just spending it all on my anniversary present for my boyfriend -- so maybe in a few more months haha.

Here's a few pics from a shoot of some kids going to prom. Was using my boyfriends new 28-135mm Canon. Older but it really was a great deal considering it has IS and USM ... $160.
Yeah...I guess there are a lot of mark II cameras now...7d mkII is very popular and nice for sports/wildlife. I would never call the Canon 5D (any version) useless as it absolutely excels in studio/portrait work. This is what most of the Canon professionals in those fields use.

Rain scares me. I always bring a garbage bag with in case it rains...and my backpacking backpack I use now has a rainfly to protect it. I can't stand the idea of my gear getting wet and getting ruined by fungus or something awful. The stuff is just too expensive.

The Canon 28-135mm should be a great walk around lens. This is something I still haven't bothered with. I have to either decide on a telephoto or wider lens...or I have to bring two. :(

I did do some more upgrading and got ahold of a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. Also started and finished my website, finally. Really exciting stuff.
Unread 05-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #58
Fading
DarkVaporeon Master

Really looking forward to seeing your website.

So I was saving up for either the 6D/Mark ii and apparently my boyfriend was scheming with my aunt the last few months and she mailed me a check which was more than enough to snag up a great deal I found on Craigslist.

Normally, I am skeptical of buying things used but this guy had 10+ L lenses for sale, 5 Mark iii's, and 3 Mark ii's and they were all in pristine condition. Ended up snagging a Mark ii + 24-105 L F.4/0 for a total of $1,500. Squeee. Can't wait to go out and shoot!

Alycia's Photography
Ethereal Origins