Thread: My Photography
View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
Splurge
Pokémon Trainer

TPPC: #4879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
Upgraded recently! I bought myself a t2i and my boyfriend has a t3i. Also now have a Rokinon 14mm manual lense which is incredible.

Thanks for the advice. I do fairly well for myself -- San Francisco has a lot of opportunities for shoots. As I mentioned above, I recently upgraded so it's been helping with business a lot. I've been focusing on proposal/weddings recently and have had quite a few shoots revolving around those. Word of mouth has helped business tremendously and I'm excited to be able to push my new camera and lenses to their limits. 30D's are pretty badass considering the age -- similar to my old xti though.

As for super-professional gear with prime lenses and full frame ... I'm sure that'll happen eventually, haha.
Being in the right area can make a world of difference...need population, area with higher incomes, and not too much competition. I really do hope you continue to upgrade further as I still stick behind my above statements.

Canon has their lines so screwed up now, so they have made it very difficult to upgrade without spending significant amounts of cash. The Rebel line isn't worth anything beyond the T3i as image quality has fallen so the T3i shoots better than the T5i. They've made the 60D/70D lines completely pointless by removing the magnesium alloy body...considering the sensors are the same as the Rebel line. You're paying a lot of extra money for nothing at this point. The 6D is full frame, but with a plastic body as well...and anybody looking to shoot full frame should be an actual, real professional and would choose the weather sealed, magnesium alloy body of the 5DmkII/5DmkIII instead. The 7D/7DmkII is what the 60D/70D should have been...except a lot more expensive. Not to mention, that in the last 5 years...the technology hasn't really improved all that much. They've pushed DSLRs as far as they can go, it seems.

The 30D was pretty decent in it's time...but the clarity and detail compared to newer cameras just isn't there...anything would be considered an upgrade on it. Funny that though...I just bought a new camera this morning--Canon Rebel T3i refurbished/sale for $312 + tax. It will do everything better just because the technology has increased so much since the 30D, but it will still shoot continuous shots slower than my ancient 30D. I absolutely despise the Rebel line and consider myself embarrassed to have bought one as it represents everything I hate about the hobby/profession. But...it will allow me to upgrade into something MUCH better earlier...and I am really hoping/holding out for Canon to continue to develop mirrorless cameras, as this would be a great way to go since the cameras will be half the size of DSLRs and quality should be comparable provided they will use the same lens mount. :]

Fiend: I am glad to see you continuing to further working on your photography. I think Lake Chabot Playground and Watercreek are your strongest photos, but you should tone down the HDR as it should look more natural and less other-worldly. and I can tell you're still over-editing...especially on Watercreek. ;)

Since everybody is sharing their work, if interested, examples of my work...though a bit outdated: Splurge's Photography Link
Splurge is offline   Reply With Quote