View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
King Killa
Pokémon Trainer

TPPC: #3478973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absoyena View Post
I'd like to say one thing about characters and using them in your story.

It's very important for your readers(and yourself) to know who are what. Now I don't mean "he's a boy and she's a girl". I mean who's your protagonist, the main-character. Maybe you have 1, or 2, or even 5. Just be sure to give them all an equal share of depth and attention. Don't go overboard on one of your protagonists and then neglect your others. You're better off making the other ones minor characters.

Ofcourse there will be parts in your story where you will need to focus more on one character and leave the others a bit on the side-line. This is okay, but try not to make too much of these situations, as it tends to annoy readers because they want to know more about the other characters as well.

Also, you should always try and keep your number of antagonists(main-villains) in your story as low as possible, preferably 1 or 2. This keeps it focused on what you want to achieve in your story, which can be as simple as "defeat that guy/gal" or very complicated and complex. It's all up to you, but when you're just starting out, you should try and keep your antagonists very limited. You can expand the number of bad guys/girls as you get more advanced at writing stories. But as with most things, start out simple.
I don't agree with this post. It's not necessary in all cases for the author to let the reader know who is good and who is bad. It's unrealistic. I mean, we can't go into a park and say, 'Johnny over there will be a policeman when he grows up. James, however, will hold up three banks, one convenience store and murder a man in cold blood.'

Not to mention, what would a mystery book be if the author said everything.

You've also stated 'defeat that guy/gal' as a possible goal in a book and then stated that this shouldn't be used as a plot.

Also, what's wrong with a number of antagonists. Surely there are groups of evil people working together in places.

Finally, why give all characters equal attention? That makes them all lack personality. It's what you may choose to leave out about certain characters which allows readers to really connect with them.

Also, I don't like the way the first post is written. Just because I'm a picky arsehole. Why are you trying to *narrate* tips to us?

Finally... 'How you write'.... You've used that section and dedicated it to the rules of English... really none of that has anything to do with creative writing at all.