View Single Post
Unread 12-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Absoyena
ShinyMawile Master

TPPC: #762427, #1140602, #2929176, #3080841, #101746
Send a message via MSN to Absoyena

I'd like to say one thing about characters and using them in your story.

It's very important for your readers(and yourself) to know who are what. Now I don't mean "he's a boy and she's a girl". I mean who's your protagonist, the main-character. Maybe you have 1, or 2, or even 5. Just be sure to give them all an equal share of depth and attention. Don't go overboard on one of your protagonists and then neglect your others. You're better off making the other ones minor characters.

Ofcourse there will be parts in your story where you will need to focus more on one character and leave the others a bit on the side-line. This is okay, but try not to make too much of these situations, as it tends to annoy readers because they want to know more about the other characters as well.

Also, you should always try and keep your number of antagonists(main-villains) in your story as low as possible, preferably 1 or 2. This keeps it focused on what you want to achieve in your story, which can be as simple as "defeat that guy/gal" or very complicated and complex. It's all up to you, but when you're just starting out, you should try and keep your antagonists very limited. You can expand the number of bad guys/girls as you get more advanced at writing stories. But as with most things, start out simple.

One last thing I'd like to say about this is that it usually helps in understanding people's actions to make the antagonist have a certain role in the story as well, not just as a super-boss of a video game that you see only once, and after that he's gone. Make the antagonist do things, maybe even let him/her encounter your main character early on. You could even add in some little twist by revealing a connection between the main character and the main villain. This could be things like being relatives(brothers/sisters, parent/child, etc..) or some sort of hatred or feud between the two. Remember that, when you choose the latter one, keep it logical. Not something like: Their families had been fighting for years and now it's time to end this. While that may be logical at first glance, it won't be if you leave the reason at that. Why would he want to kill someone he doesn't even know? Would you, without questioning, kill a random person? You can do this, but at least have your protagonist think about what he's doing, which in turn ties in to making your characters realistic.

That is all(for now ;P)
If I close my eye, will you not run away from me?
Absoyena is offline   Reply With Quote