TPPC Trainer's Corner

TPPC Trainer's Corner (http://forums.tppc.info/index.php)
-   TPPC Online RPG Ideas (http://forums.tppc.info/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Change to the SS Anne (http://forums.tppc.info/showthread.php?t=594261)

Ghosty 04-02-2017 08:50 AM

Change to the SS Anne

Currently winning the SS Anne requires a tremendous amount of skill time*
To win, you require ~20,000 battles which is essentially an entire day of computer grinding. I've spoken to past winners, and many of them have felt physically sick after 16 hours nonstop of clicking against a white background - and this is supposed to be a children's game. I could labour the point, but simply, I think its needs to be changed. In my opinion, the fix is simple and still enables it to be the "Endurance" challenge it was designed as.

So, my suggestion:
After every 50 Pokémon, introduce a level multiplier e.g.
- Pokémon 1-50, 1.0 X User Level
- Pokémon 51-100, 1.1 X User Level
- Pokémon 101-150, 1.2 X User Level
etc.

This will reduce the amount of battles from a ludicrous 50,000, to a mere couple of hundred. It will also introduce skill/strategy as the battle goes on (SS Anne is so easy that you have to "commit suicide" to lose). Moreover, it is still a long endurance battle - and it actually represents the games; the SS Anne had different floors of trainers with increasing difficulty.

Prizes should also be swapped about but I'll leave that to shrimpster

----------------------------------------------------------

Idea revised:
- Ever increasing level multiplier of ~+0.01x per knockout (rough, to be decided)

Shrimpy 04-08-2017 08:00 PM

Rather than increase the level every 50 Pokemon, why not just do an ever increasing level?

Gin.A 04-08-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpy (Post 10656312)
Rather than increase the level every 50 Pokemon, why not just do an ever increasing level?

+0.01x multiplier in level per knockout. I support that.

kobk 04-08-2017 08:12 PM

What an amazing idea, i like the sound of this.

No longer will we use a Chansey to spam Ice Beam until our hands fall off! ;o

Space Cowboy 04-08-2017 08:15 PM

I like this a lot, SS Anne is a great idea for a challenge but at the moment it's just so easy, also a great way to bring in new prizes

Gin.A 04-08-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jzero (Post 10656321)
I like this a lot, SS Anne is a great idea for a challenge but at the moment it's just so easy, also a great way to bring in new prizes

both easy and sometimes unrealistically hard at the same time...if you look at it in different perspectives.

Space Cowboy 04-08-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gin.A (Post 10656324)
both easy and sometimes unrealistically hard at the same time...if you look at it in different perspectives.

Well that's true...
In the fact that all you have to do is level up over the Pokémon you're battling and keep spamming the same attack over and over it is easy; the fact that you have to do it for hours to win a genesect, though, it is extremely hard

Ace Trainer Murdock 04-08-2017 08:55 PM

this is a wonderful idea. I really think that it should be made up and gone through. If not full time maybe a trail period? Just to see how popular it may become and to get the bugs out. Really worth it in my opinion.

Pkcore 04-08-2017 09:06 PM

I think it's a great idea because having to invest that much time in a single day doesn't sound pleasant at all.

Ace Trainer Murdock 04-08-2017 09:12 PM

^^ what pkcore said. That is the reason why so many people are turned off from it and to the people that do participate it probably isnt good on them. Changing it to this would really stir up tppc again. we just got the new speed tower and now this?!? Ppl would play alot more and it would be more fun for everyone else. And make a healthier trade environment as well.

Shrimpy 04-08-2017 10:22 PM

I think the SS Anne is the next tower to get worked on. Right now I'm trying to freshen up the old "Buneary Madness" event from a few years back and make it so we can do things like that more often.

chuk1996 04-08-2017 10:25 PM

Woooo! Shrimpy do your thang!

Ace Trainer Murdock 04-08-2017 10:31 PM

Good job shrimpy. Thank you so much for all the work you do to keep this place clean and jumping.

Abhi 04-09-2017 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpy (Post 10656402)
I think the SS Anne is the next tower to get worked on. Right now I'm trying to freshen up the old "Buneary Madness" event from a few years back and make it so we can do things like that more often.

That's really great to hear Shrimpy :big_smile:

Ghosty 04-09-2017 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpy (Post 10656312)

I was thinking about that myself. I opted for the 50 level thing so it would resemble the "floors" of the boat - I've found that people are normally more receptive to ideas that mimic the handheld games. Butttttt, looking at the response above I was wrong :)

The ever-increasing level is a great idea, I'd love to see it introduced!

Only thing to be cautious about would be making it too modest. Whilst it would be great to reduce 18 hours of clicking to 4 or 5, we should really be aiming for an average battle time of under an hour so all can compete in my opinion

Gin.A 04-09-2017 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghosty (Post 10656551)
I was thinking about that myself. I opted for the 50 level thing so it would resemble the "floors" of the boat - I've found that people are normally more receptive to ideas that mimic the handheld games. Butttttt, looking at the response above I was wrong :)

The ever-increasing level is a great idea, I'd love to see it introduced!

Only thing to be cautious about would be making it too modest. Whilst it would be great to reduce 18 hours of clicking to 4 or 5, we should really be aiming for an average battle time of under an hour so all can compete in my opinion

You're talking game mechanics now :p
It depends on the increment formula that's ultimately adopted. Let's say the level multiplier increases by +0.002 per knockout, i don't foresee players getting past the 2,000 KO mark easily at all, since at that point the opponent levels will be (1+0.002*2000) = 5x your highest in roster. As an endurance challenge, I feel as though 1.5-2 solid hours of investment sounds human-scale to me.

Ghosty 04-09-2017 06:13 AM

I could live with 1.5 hours, although 2 hours per average battle does seem a little long winded to me. I envisioned it taking around an hour, with the highest scores taking up to 2hours but either way, its magnitudes better than the 18+hrs you currently need.

Also, as we're talking about KOs and the ability to knock out a pokemon many X your level I think people are going to have the elemental stone argument once again. Thinking about it, whilst the elemental stone gives you a small "edge" in speed tower or other challenges, if we change the SS Anne like this it will give you an enormousssssssssss advantage. What does everyone else think?

Gin.A 04-09-2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghosty (Post 10656601)
I could live with 1.5 hours, although 2 hours per average battle does seem a little long winded to me. I envisioned it taking around an hour, with the highest scores taking up to 2hours but either way, its magnitudes better than the 18+hrs you currently need.

Also, as we're talking about KOs and the ability to knock out a pokemon many X your level I think people are going to have the elemental stone argument once again. Thinking about it, whilst the elemental stone gives you a small "edge" in speed tower or other challenges, if we change the SS Anne like this it will give you an enormousssssssssss advantage. What does everyone else think?

Speed tower and SS Anne don't work the same way.

In endurance challenges, its more important for you to survive. In that sense, I'd say leftovers are more crucial, since recovery moves are banned. Speed tower is a different story. It places great emphasis on precision and minimizing turns - so leftovers would be far less effective as compared to a sharpened damage output. So no, elemental stone is unlikely to provide a significant advantage in this case.

As for time spent - I've heard a few cases of people hacking for up to 4 hours a day at the Speed Tower to minimize their score. 2 hours sounds human-scale to me. The challenge is still meant to stretch you, and thus it should still demand for dedication and patience.

Ghosty 04-09-2017 06:33 AM

To be honest I don't see how we can know for sure without trying it out - perhaps dealing more damage and KO'ing till death could be equally as good as dealing less damage but 'surviving' for longer? Eh maybe I was jumping the gun and its a discussion to be had at a later date & we should just try get this implemented first

On that note I'll edit the first post later on with everyones ideas so far e.g. the multiplier, suitable examples of the formulae etc.

BlackMalachite 05-20-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimpy (Post 10656402)

I wanted to bump this because I'm seriously in favor of not only the system that Shrimpy suggested (getting more difficult with each Pokemon you defeat) but also a reset on the counter in general. He said it would be the next tower he works on and it's been a month since this post, so I wanted to know if any progress has been made.

lakhani 04-07-2018 02:08 PM

i think this should be brought up again.
as shrimpy is online these days.

Medazeppi 04-07-2018 02:34 PM

Nice ideas in here. Also a good idea to bring it up again.

swift wolf 04-08-2018 06:31 AM

Maybe add a point system to the SS. anne aswell, once per day you get one point upto 7 in total (every monday those points reset to 0) and you can exchange those points for an item or a certain amount of team points? just as an additional incentive

Gin.A 04-08-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swift wolf (Post 10863576)
Maybe add a point system to the SS. anne aswell, once per day you get one point upto 7 in total (every monday those points reset to 0) and you can exchange those points for an item or a certain amount of team points? just as an additional incentive

You probably got the inspiration from Pokemon GO's field research and daily bonuses, and this is a really nice idea, I feel. Anything to encourage consistent, daily logins leading to a progressively larger reward is going to dangle some nice incentives to boost the commitment of players. Which will serve TPPC well.

swift wolf 04-08-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gin.A (Post 10863625)
You probably got the inspiration from Pokemon GO's field research and daily bonuses, and this is a really nice idea, I feel. Anything to encourage consistent, daily logins leading to a progressively larger reward is going to dangle some nice incentives to boost the commitment of players. Which will serve TPPC well.

I got the general idea off of those mobile games that use a daily login reward system (pokemon go,sao memory defrag, digimon links etc) then thought it'd be better used like a kind of participation reward to encourage players to keep playing even if they can't reach the top three/margin scores