TPPC Trainer's Corner

TPPC Trainer's Corner (http://forums.tppc.info/index.php)
-   Smeargle's Sketchpad and Notebook (http://forums.tppc.info/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   My Photography (http://forums.tppc.info/showthread.php?t=543145)

Fading 08-31-2014 05:50 PM

My Photography

In my rare bi-annual visit just wanted to throw out some of my work. Been working on it professionally for almost two years now but have been turning it into supplemental income and wanted to show my work to you all. Obviously if you like my work, feel free to "like" my page to see more upcoming work.

https://www.facebook.com/alyciamoorephotography
www.alyciamoorephotography.com

Thoughts and feedback always appreciated. <3

qpTrainerqp 08-31-2014 06:48 PM

Pretty awesome. Great use of depth of field.

GummiOverload 09-01-2014 10:35 AM

These are great! You have my like and follow, hope to see a few wonderful shots pop up on my timeline from time to time :)

edit: Just wondering, what kit/s do you use for your photog?

Ace Trainer Murdock 09-01-2014 11:12 AM

These are pretty good. Alot of pics of the everyday life of alot of different people.

Fading 09-01-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GummiOverload (Post 9392922)
These are great! You have my like and follow, hope to see a few wonderful shots pop up on my timeline from time to time :)

edit: Just wondering, what kit/s do you use for your photog?

Thanks so much Gummi! :)

Right now I'm working with a Rebel xTi & generally use a 50-300mm sigma. Working on building a presence and get more supplemental income and plan on significantly upgrading my kit. Next on the list is DEFINITELY a wide angle ... playing with the idea of a fisheye instead but not sure right now.

Deimos 09-01-2014 08:10 PM

nice. seems like you're doing good for yourself

GummiOverload 09-02-2014 09:07 AM

Oh wow, really? Now I'm really curious to see what you can produce once you've upgraded. How long have you been using that? I rarely get to see someone push an early Canon to its limits.

Splurge 09-05-2014 06:54 PM

You need to work on your lighting and clarity. What do you want your focus to be, professionally with photography?

Fisheye lens is practically useless in most circumstances...especially in a professional setting. If you are going to continue shooting people, I would recommend a decent portraiture lens before a wide-angle. A flash is also recommended. If you insist on a wide angle, no less than 17mm, but I would go a tad wider since you're using a cropped sensor. I would also recommend some filters if you are going to continue shooting in such bright light.

To be really honest, you can't really do much professionally with that camera. With that...I'd recommend a new camera. The unfortunate problem with photography professionally is the amount of money you need to invest into equipment to be successful...figure around $10k. Of everybody I have known to start a little photography "business", I only know of one that became moderately successful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GummiOverload (Post 9396082)
I rarely get to see someone push an early Canon to its limits.

I'm still rockin' my Canon 30D...but it has been pushed to beyond it's limits at this point.

Fading 11-11-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GummiOverload (Post 9396082)
Oh wow, really? Now I'm really curious to see what you can produce once you've upgraded. How long have you been using that? I rarely get to see someone push an early Canon to its limits.

Upgraded recently! I bought myself a t2i and my boyfriend has a t3i. Also now have a Rokinon 14mm manual lense which is incredible.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Splurge (Post 9406551)
You need to work on your lighting and clarity. What do you want your focus to be, professionally with photography?

Fisheye lens is practically useless in most circumstances...especially in a professional setting. If you are going to continue shooting people, I would recommend a decent portraiture lens before a wide-angle. A flash is also recommended. If you insist on a wide angle, no less than 17mm, but I would go a tad wider since you're using a cropped sensor. I would also recommend some filters if you are going to continue shooting in such bright light.

To be really honest, you can't really do much professionally with that camera. With that...I'd recommend a new camera. The unfortunate problem with photography professionally is the amount of money you need to invest into equipment to be successful...figure around $10k. Of everybody I have known to start a little photography "business", I only know of one that became moderately successful.

I'm still rockin' my Canon 30D...but it has been pushed to beyond it's limits at this point.

Thanks for the advice. I do fairly well for myself -- San Francisco has a lot of opportunities for shoots. As I mentioned above, I recently upgraded so it's been helping with business a lot. I've been focusing on proposal/weddings recently and have had quite a few shoots revolving around those. Word of mouth has helped business tremendously and I'm excited to be able to push my new camera and lenses to their limits. 30D's are pretty badass considering the age -- similar to my old xti though.

As for super-professional gear with prime lenses and full frame ... I'm sure that'll happen eventually, haha.

Fiend 11-11-2014 10:19 PM

I do Photography myself, more for a hobby, I shoot landscape and sports (mostly skateboarding) just like you I live around SF, well I go to school in SF but live by Oakland. Anyway, SF is nice for pictures, but if you're mobil, you should definitely go outside the bay, you'd be surprised on the views you'll find.

Fading 11-12-2014 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiend (Post 9557391)
I do Photography myself, more for a hobby, I shoot landscape and sports (mostly skateboarding) just like you I live around SF, well I go to school in SF but live by Oakland. Anyway, SF is nice for pictures, but if you're mobil, you should definitely go outside the bay, you'd be surprised on the views you'll find.

Oh yeah. The boyfriend are making a list of places in the greater bay area to go to. Mostly for long exposures since I'm currently addicted. So far we have:

Mt. Tampalais
Airport
Marin Headlands
Treasure Island
Twin Peaks
Mt. Diablo
Point Reyes
Muir Woods
Big Sur
Japanese Tea Garden [In the Spring]

Fiend 11-12-2014 01:23 PM

You should definitely try

Grizzly Peak
Lake Chabot

Japanese Garden is legit

Mission Peak is great too but its like a 2 hour hike up

I have a few shots of both places that I took if you'd like to see :)

Fading 11-13-2014 01:50 AM

Both added to the list. Yeah definitely, I wanna see your work!

Fiend 11-13-2014 10:23 PM

well I don't have the actual URL, it wont work, i upload my stuff at 500px, dont get me wrong I suck, I'm still just learning, but regardless, here it is so you have an idea of Lake Chabot, 2 of em are from the Lake :D

https://500px.com/dannyneck

Fading 11-15-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiend (Post 9560416)
well I don't have the actual URL, it wont work, i upload my stuff at 500px, dont get me wrong I suck, I'm still just learning, but regardless, here it is so you have an idea of Lake Chabot, 2 of em are from the Lake :D

https://500px.com/dannyneck

Your work is great! Need to upload more. :P

Tried doing bridge pictures (This is the Bay Bridge in San Francisco) and some astro photography yesterday. They're both so fun.
https://scontent-2.2914.fna.fbcdn.ne...06&oe=551F0311
https://scontent-2.2914.fna.fbcdn.ne...fb&oe=551E7FE4
https://scontent-2.2914.fna.fbcdn.ne...f7&oe=55194797

Fiend 11-16-2014 02:59 AM

Oh yeah, definitely been there :) like i said i go to school out there :P SFSU to be specific

tresure island is nice too. easiest place to get to and yet a great view as always.

love the pics though. glad to talk to someone here who shares the same interests.

aakash 11-16-2014 03:05 AM

amazing work.

I would post my photographs but they are mostly with an Iphone as I never bother to take a big camera while im traveling xD

Fading 11-17-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiend (Post 9563858)
Oh yeah, definitely been there :) like i said i go to school out there :P SFSU to be specific

tresure island is nice too. easiest place to get to and yet a great view as always.

love the pics though. glad to talk to someone here who shares the same interests.

My bad, was actually on Treasure Island. Hehe. I am trying to get out to Pigeon Point this week. :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by aakash (Post 9563860)
amazing work.

I would post my photographs but they are mostly with an Iphone as I never bother to take a big camera while im traveling xD

Take your big camera! It's worth it.

Fiend 11-17-2014 10:35 PM

Treasure island is dope. Never heard of pigeon point. I know that next week ill be shooting inside oakland ports. Kinda like life at work scenerio. Kynda hyped for that. Please do continue to share your work. I look forward to it everytime

Splurge 11-18-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fading (Post 9556374)
Upgraded recently! I bought myself a t2i and my boyfriend has a t3i. Also now have a Rokinon 14mm manual lense which is incredible.

Thanks for the advice. I do fairly well for myself -- San Francisco has a lot of opportunities for shoots. As I mentioned above, I recently upgraded so it's been helping with business a lot. I've been focusing on proposal/weddings recently and have had quite a few shoots revolving around those. Word of mouth has helped business tremendously and I'm excited to be able to push my new camera and lenses to their limits. 30D's are pretty badass considering the age -- similar to my old xti though.

As for super-professional gear with prime lenses and full frame ... I'm sure that'll happen eventually, haha.

Being in the right area can make a world of difference...need population, area with higher incomes, and not too much competition. I really do hope you continue to upgrade further as I still stick behind my above statements.

Canon has their lines so screwed up now, so they have made it very difficult to upgrade without spending significant amounts of cash. The Rebel line isn't worth anything beyond the T3i as image quality has fallen so the T3i shoots better than the T5i. They've made the 60D/70D lines completely pointless by removing the magnesium alloy body...considering the sensors are the same as the Rebel line. You're paying a lot of extra money for nothing at this point. The 6D is full frame, but with a plastic body as well...and anybody looking to shoot full frame should be an actual, real professional and would choose the weather sealed, magnesium alloy body of the 5DmkII/5DmkIII instead. The 7D/7DmkII is what the 60D/70D should have been...except a lot more expensive. Not to mention, that in the last 5 years...the technology hasn't really improved all that much. They've pushed DSLRs as far as they can go, it seems.

The 30D was pretty decent in it's time...but the clarity and detail compared to newer cameras just isn't there...anything would be considered an upgrade on it. Funny that though...I just bought a new camera this morning--Canon Rebel T3i refurbished/sale for $312 + tax. It will do everything better just because the technology has increased so much since the 30D, but it will still shoot continuous shots slower than my ancient 30D. I absolutely despise the Rebel line and consider myself embarrassed to have bought one as it represents everything I hate about the hobby/profession. But...it will allow me to upgrade into something MUCH better earlier...and I am really hoping/holding out for Canon to continue to develop mirrorless cameras, as this would be a great way to go since the cameras will be half the size of DSLRs and quality should be comparable provided they will use the same lens mount. :]

Fiend: I am glad to see you continuing to further working on your photography. I think Lake Chabot Playground and Watercreek are your strongest photos, but you should tone down the HDR as it should look more natural and less other-worldly. and I can tell you're still over-editing...especially on Watercreek. ;)

Since everybody is sharing their work, if interested, examples of my work...though a bit outdated: Splurge's Photography Link

Fiend 11-18-2014 01:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I do shoot in a T3I with 28-105 Lens :D I'll keep your suggestions in mind for my next picture :)

Splurge 11-19-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiend (Post 9567008)
Thanks for the tips. I do shoot in a T3I with 28-105 Lens :D I'll keep your suggestions in mind for my next picture :)

Anytime. :] One of my favorite things to do is view and critique photography pieces. I am hoping for a good deal on the 7D to pop up then I will just resell the T3i I just purchased and make a little money at the same time. We have just started the process of dumping entirely too much money into my equipment all in the name of a sibling's wedding that I got talked into shooting for. Wedding photography is the absolute most difficult (to do right) and I am not looking forward to it.

Fiend 11-19-2014 05:54 PM

Before i move on to more advance photography, i figure i first learn to work with what i got and learn to edit as well.

GummiOverload 11-20-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fading (Post 9556374)

Nice! Still lurking through your albums everytime you post something new :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Splurge (Post 9406551)

I just dug up my storage and found a D40 lol, thinking of using this as my starter cam. I'd love to hear out a few tips on how you managed your 30D :)

Splurge 11-22-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiend (Post 9568298)
Before i move on to more advance photography, i figure i first learn to work with what i got and learn to edit as well.

That is a good attitude that I wish more people shared. You can do a fine job learning on just about any camera...and then once you progress, invest in better equipment based on what you would like to accomplish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GummiOverload (Post 9569039)
Nice! Still lurking through your albums everytime you post something new :)

I just dug up my storage and found a D40 lol, thinking of using this as my starter cam. I'd love to hear out a few tips on how you managed your 30D :)

I love that people get encouraged to try out different art mediums and stuff just because of the work people post on here. I wish we'd get some more action on this forum! Just realized Fading had her own website last night as well...thought it was just the Facebook page. Haha. Was able to look at all of her work instead of just a few of the recent FB posts. Love to watch people progress.

I am assuming this is the Nikon D40? it could definitely work as a starter cam. The only problem you will have is that at this point in time, Nikon's digitals were definitely behind in image quality when compared to Canon. It may have trouble handling certain colors, especially red. If this happens, it is not your fault, it's just a product of the technology during that time. Don't let that deter you though! It's a great cam to get your feet wet with. I could definitely help out with tips and pointers, but I think we either need a whole separate thread or you could PM me. Whatever works for you.