Welcome to the TPPC Trainer's Corner.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Conversation Between DarkRex and Darkheart
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Darkheart
    04-12-2016 10:19 AM
    Darkheart
    I do want to do it for a living, but I don't make any money at it. :P
    So it's a labor of love.

It's a lot of work, and though it is definitely worthwhile it's also definitely not easy whatsoever... I mean, it might seem easy to just plant a seed and pick it later, but you have to fight the weather, animals, disease, customers, etc. all the time.
    I grew up with it in my family, as in my dad always grew large amounts of produce, and there were horses and cows around when I was very young. But, they eventually grew away from it because of hardships etc. We had equipment left over which helped. But, it's definitely possible to learn. It really helps to have a mentor, though, and I was glad to have people around me who knew at least something about it.

Chickens do better in groups of at least a few. I've never heard of anyone keeping one chicken. It can probably be done but I know that even when I have an injured chicken inside to doctor it up, it does not like to be apart from the others. I will often put a gentle one in with it to make it feel better.

They cannot be taught not to poop inside the house. However, there are specialty products sold such as Chicken Diapers and Crowing Collars and stuff that make it possible to keep them inside the house if desired. I wouldn't recommend it in general, though. They can be very dusty/create a large amount of dander, and I feel they just do better if given outdoor space. I don't have a barn anymore, it burnt. I just have a chicken coop out by the garages.

My preferred hatchery is Mount Healthy http://www.mthealthy.com/
    I advise strongly AGAINST Meyer Hatchery, they will reimburse for problems BUT the birds I've gotten from them have been sickly and spread disease into my flock.
    I don't have a lot of experience with other hatcheries but some common ones are Cackle Hatchery and Murray McMurray.
    Hatchery birds are bred for utility and are usually not up to breed standard and cannot be shown. But they lay better than, and are a lot cheaper than, birds from a breeder.
  2. DarkRex
    04-10-2016 12:19 AM
    DarkRex
    btw link me to a hatchery, wanna look around at bulk options if its cheaper.
  3. DarkRex
    04-10-2016 12:18 AM
    DarkRex
    Dude ever since I moved to Chicago I've been way more interested in farm life for some reason. I used to go on like 4-5 hour deliveries and we'd pass by really big cornfields and farms. I swear when I seen all these cows and horses I'd get so anxious, like I'm really missing out or something. I don't know what its like to live on a farm, let alone take care of crops and animals, but do you feel some type of accomplishment being able to do what you do? I know it may sound silly to you because maybe you don't actually want to do all of that for a living, but it just seems so surreal to me.

There are quite a few farms/land for sale not to far from me, and Id love to get away from everything, but I really dont know squat about what it'd actually take to grow crops, let alone harvest them. And I know its not cheap, but you've been doing it for some time and you make it look/sound so easy and worthwhile.

Anyway back to the chickens. I kinda want a chicken now, but I don't know how it'd feel not having other chickens around it. I know they're not all alike, but do they like having other chickens to like...hang around? Lol. Also can you train them not to poo inside the house? I'm sure you have a barn but it sounds like you're real close to some of them so I figure you give a few of them the option to come chill indoors with you.
  4. Darkheart
    04-02-2016 11:59 PM
    Darkheart
    Not old age, no. Some had Marek's disease as the hatchery I got them from did not vaccinate them as I had requested. My vaccinated birds are doing fine including the batch I vaccinated myself.

I actually bond with them, and the friendliest ones have names and are kinda like pets :x Some are kinda skittish and not really appreciative of being handled, but they will still run up to me when called or gather around for me to hand feed them treats.

Hatcheries are the same places I got all of these birds, breeders are really only for if you want birds to a certain standard and they cost way more anyway. I mostly want them because they're fun to have and I also get eggs. I have preferences due to cold hardiness, temperament etc. but I don't really mind how they look like other than that they're heavy breeds (not bantams) and not strictly ornamental like they have 4 foot long tails I have to worry about.

A day old chick -> more like a chicken varies depending on breed, but most of the breeds I have get their 'young' feathers in by 4 weeks or so, are looking mostly like they will as an adult within 2-3 months, and then by 4-5 months they are laying/crowing (though I sure don't need more roosters, I have 3 lol).
  5. DarkRex
    04-01-2016 11:57 AM
    DarkRex
    Are they dying from old age? And do you like having chickens around just for eggs, or do you actually bond with them? I'm not overly concerned about the prices, but about the birds you'd be receiving...like are the farms/hatcheries the same places that produce birds for selling as produce and what not. Also, how long does it generally take a day old chick to grow into an actual chicken, dunno if that makes sense, I'm thinking in terms of when it will begin to look like a chicken apposed to a cute fuzzball.
  6. Darkheart
    03-29-2016 10:43 PM
    Darkheart
    I was considering ordering more, really... I had some die and others are getting very old, so I need replacements. Most hatcheries ship day old chicks no problem but it is done USPS. FedEx and UPS won't ship them. The chicks themselves are only a few dollars apiece usually, although there is typically a minimum of 10-15 birds which brings the cost up. A site like MyPetChicken will ship as few as 4 as long as it's after April begins (which isn't far now). Some hatcheries have started pullets too which is basically just a single older bird that can be sent one at a time if need be. However, the shipping on these is outrageous! I just checked one website and although the started bird is about 12 bucks, shipping is 50! I can get 10 pullet chicks from my preferred hatchery (Mt. Healthy) shipped and vaccinated, for less than that! ;x
  7. DarkRex
    03-28-2016 11:49 PM
    DarkRex
    Can I FedEx a chicken? Cause I'd actually send you one, depending on the cost, and whether it would be a burden for you to feed and care for. lol
  8. Darkheart
    03-28-2016 10:30 PM
    Darkheart
    yes? as long as it's not offensive or something lol
  9. DarkRex
    03-27-2016 12:43 AM
    DarkRex
    can I buy you a chicken and name it too
Register Now

Member Login

User Name:

Password: