PDA

View Full Version : Lexar Platinum II PSP Memory Stick PRO Duo Mark 2

Ssgoku
12-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I just bought an 8GB Lexar Platinum II PSP Memory Stick PRO Duo Mark 2, and when I put insert it in my PSP slim (2000) it doesn't work. It says that's there's no memory stick inserted. Yes, I know how to put it in properly, but it still doesn't work. I searched online but I couldn't find the answer. I didn't know, but I found out that Lexar isn't that good. I don't care, I just want to know how to make it work.

Charizard
12-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Im not exactly sure if what im thinking is correct.

I think at one point a PSP could only read up to a 4GB stick, then a later firmware release let them read more than 4GB.
So im thinking you might need to update your firmware.

Memory stick could also be defective, but if you have a computer with a card reader, you could rule this out by seeing if it works on the computer.

Ssgoku
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
It's already updated, and my computer doesn't have a card reader. I'll probably try to go back to the store and ask. :/

Jefff
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Try going to format, I think it's in the options somewhere (dunno where my PSP charger is, so can't check) and see if it will let you do that.
It may have come preformatted as NTFS, which afaik, the PSP cannot read (This will delete the files on it, so make sure that if anything's on it, it's backed up). If that doesn't work, see if you can put your PSP in disk mode, and see if it works when you plug it into your computer.
If that doesn't work either, use a memory stick reader to plug it into your computer, and format it as FAT there.

Another possibility, and I don't know if this is the case with Memory stick, but with SD cards, there was a later improvement called SD HC, which are physically identical, but SD HC cards will not work with pre HC hardware. Something similar may have been done with Memory Stick.
If that is, there's really nothing you can do about it, but the store you bought it from might let you return it as defective.

Ssgoku
12-26-2009, 07:53 PM
I tried to format it on my PSP, but it says no memory stick is inserted. I even pushed it in and tried it but it didn't work. What's disk mode? I tried connecting my PSP to my computer using USB cable, but it also says no Memory Stick is inserted. And, how can i tell if it's SD or SD HC?

Jefff
12-26-2009, 08:20 PM
I tried to format it on my PSP, but it says no memory stick is inserted. I even pushed it in and tried it but it didn't work. What's disk mode? I tried connecting my PSP to my computer using USB cable, but it also says no Memory Stick is inserted. And, how can i tell if it's SD or SD HC?

Disk mode is what you tried to do (to connect it). And SD/SD HC is a different card format, I was just saying that there might have been something similar done with Memory Card, but I'm not even sure if that's the case.

Looking at Wikipedia, that's probably not the case, the last upgrade to memory stick increased the capacity from 128mb, so if you've ever used it with anything bigger than 128mb, that's not the case.

Ssgoku
12-27-2009, 12:08 AM
I used a Sony 1 GB before, so hmmm. :/ Anyways, I'm gonna go back to the store on Tuesday and let's see what will happen. I'll probably choose Sony or Sandisk this time.