PDA

View Full Version : Banning homework threads.

Shadow
03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Specifically, threads/contests that ask for others to do their homework for them. I think that it's lazy, and that's not why we're here.

Ruinn
03-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Agree.

Jefff
03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes, but not threads looking for help.

Shadow
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Exactly. Help and just having others do it for you are totally different things.

Ichigo Uzumaki
03-04-2010, 07:32 PM
You don't like them, ignore them. Easy.

GoldenEmpire
03-04-2010, 07:39 PM
If anything, just have them only able to be given the answer. At least they won't learn how to get the answer, and then they will eventually fail when it comes to a test or quiz. It will end up costing them even more than the prize for the contest. I have no problem with these types of contests, it's their decision, along with whoever gives the answer. For the people who only want help, they can just be given examples for that question.

If it's a question asking "How far is ___ from... let's say the Sun?", then it's pretty difficult to give 'help' without just giving the answer. Unless you gave them some type of formula, but even then, I can imagine continuing with the asking of questions because "they don't get it", and eventually they'd just be given the answer.

Tenshi
03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I agree with GE here. I don't like those threads but I ignore them and laugh at the lazy kids who won't learn anything and then fail on their important tests. :3

Shadow
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
That's true enough, but there's no real problem for people who have questions and want normal help on it. They may, for example, want other views on the matter. People who want answers is what I'm talking about mostly.

GoldenEmpire
03-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Edited a bit. Completely forgot about people who only want help.

X-tra
03-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Yeah, They're never going to learn if they plan to get answers here :O

Fading
03-05-2010, 12:19 AM
10/10 Most of the people that post them act like they've never done HW or paid attention in school, never too late to start!

Jefff
03-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Generally, on forums where homework questions are frequently allowed, you're generally allowed to ask for just the answer, or how to get to the answer. That way, you're not just doing their work for them, but actually helping them with it.

You don't like them, ignore them. Easy.

While we're at it, we should add a **** board, and allow racial slurs.

If you don't like it, you can always ignore it, right?

Anyway, you're going to tell me there's a difference, so I'll ask up front; why is the solution to one to ban it, and the solution to the other to "just ignore it", where do you draw the line between the two? How about any other kind of threads that aren't allowed, should they be not allowed, or should they be ignored?

Ichigo Uzumaki
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Generally, on forums where homework questions are frequently allowed, you're generally allowed to ask for just the answer, or how to get to the answer. That way, you're not just doing their work for them, but actually helping them with it.

While we're at it, we should add a **** board, and allow racial slurs.

If you don't like it, you can always ignore it, right?

Anyway, you're going to tell me there's a difference, so I'll ask up front; why is the solution to one to ban it, and the solution to the other to "just ignore it", where do you draw the line between the two? How about any other kind of threads that aren't allowed, should they be not allowed, or should they be ignored?

Damn dude you still mad. Relax.

Anyways, yeah, I can just ignore it but being racist and ignoring people who can't do their own homework are too completely different things and it's a pretty cheap comparrison.

Jefff
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Obviously, you didn't read to the end of my post.

Also, why do you think I'm mad?

Nizzzy
03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
100000/10

Marluxia
03-05-2010, 07:38 PM
ban 'em,straight up.

NikoBelic999
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Quit Whining Like Little Girls, and if you dont like it IGNORE IT! Dont rant about it...no one cares.

Jefff
03-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Quit Whining Like Little Girls, and if you dont like it IGNORE IT! Dont rant about it...no one cares.

Please read all the posts before replying.

Shadow
03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
ban 'em,straight up.
That's not quite the point. By banning the threads, I mean lock them. The users themselves shouldn't be banned for something as small as this.

Who's whining, and who's ranting?

Element
03-06-2010, 02:40 PM
10/10 pl0x. If everyone has to work hard to finish an assignment, so do they -.-.

Hantsuki
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I would support something like this, but how do you know that some contests aren't getting people to do homework for themselves? The wording sounds weird, so let me explain.

I've seen contests that are straight up titled something along the lines of "Help me with my homework" or something else like that, and it would obviously be easy to spot that the person who made that contest is being a lazy bum and asking someone else to do their homework for them, but what about other contests that ask difficult questions with sometimes better prizes? You can never be so sure if the person who created that contest is trying to seek help for their homework whether it's an essay or poem or whatever, or if the person is just holding a contest for the fun of it. So I would think it would be useless altogether if you're not entirely sure on who is "cheating" (because copying answers on a forum is the same as copying answers off a friend's paper in real life).

But it's a different story if someone is honestly asking for help because they don't understand the homework. However, if you're showing all the steps to the problem and giving an answer all in one post, that's not really helping because the person can still just copy the answer and not care about the steps shown. What I would consider "helping" is asking questions until the person gets to the answer, but that takes time, and I haven't seen anyone do that yet.

roboto
03-06-2010, 11:10 PM
The people who do 'do my homework' threads are just going to be the people who wont learn on there own theyll just cheat by getting answers from fellow TC/TPPC members

Shadow
03-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Hantsuki you have a good point. As far as contests go, I'd say it'd have to go innocent until proven guilty. If it's obviously homework, then it's not allowed. If not, it's fine. On the point of the helping, that's very true. To guide someone through it without giving them the answer is difficult, but definately possible. I think that anything that asks for direct answers should be not allowed, and it should be discouraged to post direct answers to people in these cases.