PDA

View Full Version : Writing tips and other stuff.

Cloud
12-20-2009, 01:04 AM
What is it for? WELL. I think it'd be a good idea for the writers of TPPC to be able to collaborate and talk with each other. Sharing experiences and sharing skills with less experienced writers.

Also I will be putting up some good guidelines for new writers to follow to help them along in their literary journeys; since I am the best writer in TPPC |D *coughs* Hardly >_> But I'll go as far as to say that I'm fairly decent. :tongue: And of course tips from other writers are certainly welcome, and will be added into this main post if needed.

1. Your plot.

Plot, plot, plot. It is the most essential part of any story, for without a good plot, how is it to attract any attention?

Plots can be fun at first. You get an inspiration and you go all O________________________O and start writing your story. You're so excited, you're so pumped. Sometimes its all you can think about and you're all twitchy when you're doing something other than writing. You're posting, waiting impatiently for people to reply.

Anyways, you go perfectly fine like this for a while, making your story longer. Some of the initial excitement goes down and you think about your fic in a leisurely manner. And slooooooowly it declines until you're looking at it like =| The passion's been hideously murdered and you suddenly think your story's a piece of reeking dinosaur-crap. And then you abandon it, hide it under a rug, and feel bad thinking you're no good a writer.

Well, guess what?

YOURE WRONG!!!

To get your plot straight is the hardest part. Most of the time you get a feeling that you're gonna have this superspeacialamazingubercool ending and then a beginning as your launch pad. Unfortunately, we usually lack what it takes to bring us from point A, the start, to point B, the end. We're missing the middle.

Plots take careful planning. You can't just start writing as soon as you get an idea. You'll be so busy, that you won't see what you have to go through to actually get there. So you will fail.

You can dodge this by planning. =D Planning as in "Ok, I can has an idea, but I need to know how I'm going to get there." You can do this anyway you want, ANNNNNNYYYYYWAAAAAYYY YOU WANT! Writing out an outline, doing something visually, etc. You have to know your story before you even touch the pencil/keyboard (however you're writing) and then the hard part is over. Well...almost D: Also, you have to know the world which your world set too. Know as much as you can about it. From the big things to the tiny things. And don't forget to know your characters. Know what they look like, how they act, know their life, know what they're good at etc.. You can do this buy setting up a little profile for your character..

Name
Height
Weight
Personality
History
ect...

Anyway. Like I said. Know your story before you start writing your story. Outlines. Charts. Whatever works.

2. Your writing.

How you write makes or breaks your story.

Even if you have the most amazing plot ever written, if u type liek this whith crapy spelign and no grammer ur fic wil never be raed. Honestly, no one will EVER pay attention to it.

Write in English. D: Spell good, know what a sentence is, use commas, use periods/dots/points.

NOTE: While spelling is awesome, don't think that you can't use slang in character dialogue, since how a person talks can very much bring them alive.

NOTE #2: Typos are fine. Don't freak out over them. You could spell check and proof read your chapters twice before posting and there will still most likely be a typo or two somewhere. Don't fret. They'll usually be pointed out to you by your readers, and know everyone makes mistakes. I'm sure you've seen books with typos in them.

Use paragraphs. Because if you type without making any paragraphs at all, your readers will be sitting looking at an ungodly wall of text, and will click the Back button before they even see the first word.

Now paragraphs can be funny things, and it can be confusing to know when you should start a knew one.

One thing you should always do is make a new paragraph whenever a different person starts speaking

"So, liek, do you, liek, yeah?" Cloud asked. "Oh, ttly, liek yeah, you know what I, liek, mean?" Tidus replied.

Don't do this!! :(

"So, liek, do you, liek, yeah?" Cloud asked.

"Oh, ttly, liek yeah, you know what I, liek, mean?" Tidus replied.

Yes. Because, if you keep doing that in the same paragraph, it can get VERY confusing as to who is saying what. Now, real professional paragraphing looks like this:

"So, liek, do you, liek, yeah?" Cloud asked.
"Oh, ttly, liek yeah, you know what I, liek, mean?" Tidus replied.

Professionally, there are only spaces between paragraphs when a length of time has passed, and new paragraphs are indented to mark the start of a new one. However, on this forum we space each paragraph and typically mark a passage of time with an extra hit of the Enter key or a line.

I use seven dashes to mark a passage of time in my stories. But other people do ~*~*~*~ or _____________, ect... whatever works.

As for the other times to start a new paragraph. Really it's sorta up to you. Paragraphs can be super short one liners or they can be pretty long. It's something you get the hang of as you progress your writing talent.

So where were we... spelling, grammar, paragraphs. That's it for structure, but there's more to that. There's also the dreaded details. Usually we find ourselves not using enough, (sometimes too much.)

Your story depends on your ability to write, but not only in spelling, grammar. Details are what bring your story to life. They're what makes it real to everyone else. Details are what put the images in your reader's heads. Using them well means you can allow your readers to see your story exactly like you want them to.

"Use Flamethrower, Growlithe!" the trainer ordered. His growlithe nodded and shot flames at its enemy.

"Block it with Protect, Bellsprout!" the other trainer said. Bellsprout obeyed the command and blocked the attack.

You're doing it wrong.

"Growlithe, get that plant with a good ol' Flamethrower!" the trainer commanded haughtily as he looked condescendingly upon the foe with passionate eyes, confident that the match would be his in no time. The growlithe barked in reply, the fluffy hair on its body stood on end as the dog-pokemon blew forth a blazing hot line of fire from its maw.

"Hmph, it won't be that easy!" The second trainer said with a grin, brushing a hand through his semi-long hair as he told his bellsprout to use Protect. The thin grass-type reacted quickly, thrusting its own roots into the ground and calling up dozens more of all sizes. The vines formed themselves into a thick wall directly between the flower pokemon and the incoming attack.

The vines took the hit of the super-effective attack, leaving Bellsprout with enough time to counter the attack. "Follow it up with Acid," the bellsprout's trainer smirked. The grass-type dashed around its burning wall of roots, mouth gurgling with a purple liquid. It vomited the substance through the air, catching the canine off guard. The acid landed on the growlithe's back and began sizzling at once, causing the fire-type to howl in pain.

That's much more fun to read. It's easier to imagine what's going on in the second version than it the first, which leaves it wide open. You'll also notice a that my Protect was pretty different. Don't be afraid to think out of the box.

(I know this applies only to pokemon fics)
Attacks don't have to be exactly how you see them in the anime or the games. I personally don't like to think that any pokemon can throw up a big green ball of energy for a shield. You may think that it's fine and that's ok. Pokemon certainly have a magical aspect to them. I personally like to be more creative than that though.

Other things about details.

Good to know are three W's. Who, Where, and When.

Who? Who's around? Is it just your character all by themselves? Are they in a crowd? Is there someone off in the distance? Make sure everyone is accounted for.

Where? Where is your current setting? What city, what country, what region, what planet. What's it like. Trees? Plants? Busy city? How's the weather? Is it hot? Cold? Rainy?

When? Present? Past? Future? What time is it?

Keep a note of those as you go through your writing. Also you should incorporate these into the Where.

Sight, touch, smell, hearing, taste.

You have five senses, and so should your characters. What do they see? What do they hear? What can they smell? What's that object feel like? What does that pidgeon-spotted cement taste like? ... Ok no. But yeah XD you get the idea.

Also make sure that you're conveying your characters thoughts and feelings. You have feelings and so should they.

3. Comments and criticism.

Ooooh, the much wanted comments and the detestable criticism.

Don't give up if there's no comments for starters. That's silly. I'm sure you'd love to know what people think of your amazing story, but don't stop when you don't get any feedback. Half the fun of writing is finishing the story yourself and knowing you did it.

Don't lose heart at criticism, even if it seems harsh. You can determine for yourself whether or not to listen to it. You can accept that they're right on what they're saying and decide you'll work on improving that area, or you could totally disagree with them and keep doing what you're doing, but be smart about it and know that you're not perfect.

Don't let good comments get to your head.

4. Inspiration.

Inspiration, it's how all stories start. It's also how they keep going and the source of your ideas.

Inspirations come from everywhere. Movies, TV, video games, music, art, people, other stories/books, dreams, nature (pfft), ect...

Good way to keep yourself fresh and moving is to immerse yourself in inspiration. Things that'll get your mind moving. It's also a way to bash through pesky writer's blocks.

If you're writing some action-packed fic it's a good idea to keep yourself immersed in corresponding inspiration. Action movies, suspensful books, stuff like that.

NOTE >:0 There's a difference between using something as inspiration and downright stealing it. That's called plagiarism, and it's a bannable offense here on TPPC Trainers Corner. If there's a new movie out about a guy with a gun, taken by force from his wife and kids and spends the rest of the movie kicking-arse and running away from explosions in slow-mo to get back to them, and then I see a fic by you about a guy with a gun, taken by force from his wife and kids and spends the rest of the movie kicking-arse and running away from explosions in slow-mo to get back to them.... yeah, you're getting banned.

5. Your characters.

Name: Vincent Von Violta
Race: Vampire
Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 130
Appearance: Pure white skin, deepest black hair that is semi-long. Red eyes that can change color based on mood. Black trench coat, black leather boots. Black pants. Is super attractive and has fangirls. "OH, EDWA-... I mean. OH, VINCENT!~"
Personality: Cold, prone to anger. Super smart and wise. Can be violent, but totally loyal to friends.
Abilities: Immortal/quick healing. Blinding reflexes, beast-like strength and inhuman speed. Knows all forms of martial arts and knows how to use many weapons. Can turn invisible, fly, transform. Shines in sunlight.
History: Orphaned at birth because of a werewolf attack. Was saved when a coven came to kill the werewolf. Was adopted by the vampires and was turned into one. Trained super-hard his whole life to be the best and to hunt down werewolves because they killed his wife too. Has a big reputation in the vampire world and is respected by many and hated by a few of the noble clans. Currently a free-lancer, takes on jobs that require his amazing skills.

K. Sounds cool right? Mm-hm, mm-hm. *nods*

Wrong.

WHAT? D: BUT HE'S SO COOL.

Nope, he's not. He's too much of a Gary Stu. What's a Gary Stu? The male equivalent of a Mary Sue. Who's she? She is the person who's perfect in every imaginable way. Same with Gary.

See, none of us are perfect. And if none of us are perfect, how the heck are we supposed to relate to someone who is? We can't. We can't really understand the character well enough because of how perfect they are. There's nothing to relate to, making the character stale really fast.

So while tempting, god-like characters such as these are usually not the best thing to have, not right off the bat anyway. And I'm not saying that having them is a huge nono; I have my share of over-powered characters, which a few of you very well know. :P But there's a difference between over-powered and perfect.

See, any good character is someone who causes the reader to have an emotional reaction to. "Oh gods! D: NO! DON'T DO THAT!" or "Don't cry! (hugs)" or "AHAHAHA ILU, INSERTCHARACTERNAMEHERE" Doesn't always have to be good either. The reader could boil with rage at one of your characters.

Any, any, sort of emotional reaction causes the reader to see the character as a person instead of words. They feel something for them, humanizing them. This is hard to do if a character is a god.

Now, this also can make it more difficult to make a character; Someone who you are pleased with as well as someone who the readers will like/dislike.

An easy way to do this is to perhaps base them off of yourself. This could be personality-wise, appearance-wise, or both. They're a bit easier to write for because all you have to do is ask yourself what you would do in whatever situation they're in.

Other ways are to base characters off of people you know, which is pretty common. A friend, a sibling, a parent, a teacher, ect.

A third way is to base them off an existing character. This character could be from a tv show, cartoon, movie, book, or even another fic. This ties into inspiration/plagiarism.

Lastly is for you to create a completely new person from scratch which isn't quite so easy.

Also good is to make sure your characters have some diversity. Variety is the spice of life, and if all your characters are liek, frickin' the same, your fic gets pretty bland.

Careful planning and thought make your characters three dimensional, and whatever you're drawing them from, it's good to spend sometime on them. Characters are the meat and cheese of your fic, and the better they taste and go together, the better off your fic is.

In short. Down to earth characters that can be felt for like actual people is what you need.

---------------------------------

That's it for now, I got the basics I think. Basically, just keep working on whatever it is you're working on. If it doesn't work out, don't be afraid to ditch it and work on something new.

One last thing. If you like writing then you better have a good appetite for reading :P Reading books and other fics are a great way to improve your skill.

Cloud
12-20-2009, 03:03 AM
Feel free to post questions about writing here, though please don't post here asking people to read your fic. Anything like that will result in a warning.

If you post a question I will be happy to answer it to the best of my ability. This isn't just for me, though: anyone should feel free to pop in with an answer to a question, or a tip or two to share. We have some nice writers here so I'm sure you'll get some sort of answer you're happy with.

Anyway, go forth and... ask questions and stuff... and discuss... :|

Absoyena
12-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I think I have a small tip, not sure if it's any good though..

Well, my tip is as follows:

Try NOT to overdo stuff in your books, like nature descriptions. Those of you who have read Tolkien's books will know what I'm talking about (the endless description of Lorien's tree's...). While nature descriptions can help to give you an idea about stuff, it's mostly very irritating and annoying to read if it goes on for too long. That's why I recommend to keep it down on the nature descriptions.

You can make about a paragraph about the surroundings, or maybe even one page, but don't go making 5 pages about every single leaf in a forest(figuratively speaking ofcourse ;P). This goes for the character descriptions in your books. Keep it simple, and add little bits of it over the course of your story.

Also, a nice way to start out is..well..blank. Don't start out with a huge epic fight, which may be fun, but it's too sudden. You can start with a simple setting, like a house, or a tavern. Those are well-known places, and most readers know how the average house or tavern looks like, so you don't have to add in that much of details. Again, same goes for character descriptions. While it's nice to describe that your pretty girl has long waving hair that falls like a waterfall in the summer around her well-formed shoulders...blabla...etc. It'll distract. And it's all about keeping your readers..well, reading. So you can say that your girl has "Nice copper-brown hair that falls to her shoulders" and that's really it.

Personally, I leave a lot to the imagination of the reader, and only fill those gaps if needed at the end, or if some things play an important role.

...Okay, this turned out to be a much larger tip than I first anticipated.

Also, a last hint: Don't be like me, typing in large blocks, but order your paragraphs to topics.

PS: If you're using more than 1 protagonist, you don't have to start a new chapter to introduce him or her, but just a new paragraph(you can even separate them with some small, nice drawing)

Cloud
12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the tip Absoyena! <3

One thing I thought maybe others should be warned about: interest. When you start your fic it may feel like the best thing you've ever done. You've come up with a great plot, your writing and grammar are divine, and you've had great, positive feedback. You've written a few posts already. But suddenly it's not interesting anymore. You do other stuff, forget to work on your fic, or just think "Naah, I'll do it some other time." Your fic gets forgotten, the readers get upset because your story ended in the middle, and suddenly you realise your fic hasn't been posted in for over a month.

I'm not sure if this happens to anyone else than me, but what I'm trying to say is think through your fic first. Will I really have what it takes to get this finished? Will I stay interested? I wrote a fic which ended like my example above. It was not nice for me, and I don't think the readers enjoyed it either.

Still, I believe I have, at the very least, touched on most of the important aspects of writing. Plot, character, grammar, inspiration, and comments/criticisms.

Absoyena
12-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah, the above is true. I had that happen to one of my fic's before, and I even got a few angry mails asking why I wasn't continuing my story. So I had to apologize and continue something I didn't really like anymore. Which, obviously, didn't work.

Also, a warning beforehand: If you're someone who likes his/her things to be finished in a week, I have an advice for you: DON'T START A STORY! This may sound harsh, but it is true, for all the above reasons of Cloud and myself. It takes time and dedication to be writer, or even to write a (decent) story.

What you need to do to be able to finish a story is simple: Keep on writing! Even if you think you're having the infamous "writer's block" (which I personally believe to be as fictional as J.R.R Tolkien's books). It's really simple to overcome such a block. Sometimes something as easy as remove the last sentence you wrote might trigger new inspiration to come.

Other good ways of getting back your inspiration are removing larger parts or just going through your own story again, and see how you feel about it when you're reading it a few times. A real drastic measure is to remove the entire fic and start from scratch, but that's really something you should only do if you're out of options. Also, having other people read your fic and asking them to help you think of something to follow up, that could help ALOT.

And ofcourse, the well-known tip for would-be writers: Read, read, read, and read some more!

Cloud
12-26-2009, 04:12 AM
God I'm loving this TPPC Sonata theme <3

Wanted to say, characterization is one of the most important things in writing. Maybe you have a good plot, but how can you make it seem awesome if your characters aren't well-rounded? All I wanted to say is that characters should have not just strengths but weaknesses as well. No I don't mean "Um, he's weak against fire!" Nonono, there should be personal weaknesses as well. Maybe they have social problems, like they just can't seem to be able to make friends because they're shy or something. Or they're overly-friendly, making them liable for others to take advantage of them , like, "HEY GIMME SOME WATER YOU TWERP!" "Yes sir." Stuff like that. And don't make your character totally weak and have no strengths in any way. Even the stupidest person has something good about them.

Dunno if that's help in any way what-so-ever or if I'm just repeating what I have said about "perfect characters" or if I'm just making things worse, but meh. If I am, someone can always edit this post for me and/or PM me to get this out of the post.

Also, in a plot there're several important things in there that one should know. There's the rising action, climax (or, as my teachers call it, the "turning point" in the story), and the falling action. All are necesarry, though usually the rising action, which builds the suspense and stuff for the story, takes up most of the story, the climax only a part of it, and the falling action takes up the rest, and usually lasts only long enough for the reader to know the ending without getting bored.

One should also know about character developement. How do your characters change throughout the story? Will a bad guy become a good guy, or a good guy turn bad? Will that innocent little kid grow and learn and eventually become the mature adult that he's supposed to be at the end of the story? Character developement is, I don't want to say essential, but a good idea for a fic/story because it makes the character seem more realistic.

Absoyena
12-26-2009, 09:21 PM
I'd like to say one thing about characters and using them in your story.

It's very important for your readers(and yourself) to know who are what. Now I don't mean "he's a boy and she's a girl". I mean who's your protagonist, the main-character. Maybe you have 1, or 2, or even 5. Just be sure to give them all an equal share of depth and attention. Don't go overboard on one of your protagonists and then neglect your others. You're better off making the other ones minor characters.

Ofcourse there will be parts in your story where you will need to focus more on one character and leave the others a bit on the side-line. This is okay, but try not to make too much of these situations, as it tends to annoy readers because they want to know more about the other characters as well.

Also, you should always try and keep your number of antagonists(main-villains) in your story as low as possible, preferably 1 or 2. This keeps it focused on what you want to achieve in your story, which can be as simple as "defeat that guy/gal" or very complicated and complex. It's all up to you, but when you're just starting out, you should try and keep your antagonists very limited. You can expand the number of bad guys/girls as you get more advanced at writing stories. But as with most things, start out simple.

One last thing I'd like to say about this is that it usually helps in understanding people's actions to make the antagonist have a certain role in the story as well, not just as a super-boss of a video game that you see only once, and after that he's gone. Make the antagonist do things, maybe even let him/her encounter your main character early on. You could even add in some little twist by revealing a connection between the main character and the main villain. This could be things like being relatives(brothers/sisters, parent/child, etc..) or some sort of hatred or feud between the two. Remember that, when you choose the latter one, keep it logical. Not something like: Their families had been fighting for years and now it's time to end this. While that may be logical at first glance, it won't be if you leave the reason at that. Why would he want to kill someone he doesn't even know? Would you, without questioning, kill a random person? You can do this, but at least have your protagonist think about what he's doing, which in turn ties in to making your characters realistic.

That is all(for now ;P)

Shaneypoo
01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I'd just like to (briefly) say to watch out for clichés. Mind you, there's no need to avoid them, just be wary. For now (at least), I'm going to start with character clichés. I know many people have a favourite character, or one they think has an "awesome" character profile. And there's nothing wrong with trying to make a similarly "awesome" character profile, but far too many times I've seen "hot teen vampire comes to town, joins school, picks the rather "ordinary" girl and they fall in love, then he has to protect her from angry, evil vampires, etc. (a.k.a. Twilight-almost copy)

That's all for now.

Cloud
02-07-2010, 10:33 PM
For the people that have been PMing me asking me to write their stories for them are really not worthy of writing one themselves. So, I'm taking the time to let you guys know why you should write and not count on others to write them for you.

As you probably already know, there is a reason why you write stories. You write because you want to, because you have an idea, thought, or experience that you want to share with the rest of the world. Or maybe it’s just with yourself, just so you can reflect on your own memories. However you want do it, constant practice can make you a master.

Every single person has the potential to become something great. And yes, every master starts off as a beginner. No one starts off knowing everything. You learn it through the actions and advice of others, as well as trying your absolute best and having that same drive to get up and keep going even when you’re knocked down. Becoming a great writer involves the same steps. The race is long, and in the end, you’ll find out it’s only with yourself. You race against no one, only your own will to constantly improve.

Writing takes time and skill to master, but anyone can do it with enough focus, determination, and the right attitude. Like in all things, no one was born with the skills to write. With the right dedication, you too can also join the many authors who have excelled to their highest performance. After that, it’s up to you to write down your dreams and ideas, and lay them out in just the right words so everyone can enjoy what your imagination has brought to life in its fullest potential. This guide can help you achieve that if read carefully and acted upon while you hone your writing skills.

King Killa
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
I'd like to say one thing about characters and using them in your story.

It's very important for your readers(and yourself) to know who are what. Now I don't mean "he's a boy and she's a girl". I mean who's your protagonist, the main-character. Maybe you have 1, or 2, or even 5. Just be sure to give them all an equal share of depth and attention. Don't go overboard on one of your protagonists and then neglect your others. You're better off making the other ones minor characters.

Ofcourse there will be parts in your story where you will need to focus more on one character and leave the others a bit on the side-line. This is okay, but try not to make too much of these situations, as it tends to annoy readers because they want to know more about the other characters as well.

Also, you should always try and keep your number of antagonists(main-villains) in your story as low as possible, preferably 1 or 2. This keeps it focused on what you want to achieve in your story, which can be as simple as "defeat that guy/gal" or very complicated and complex. It's all up to you, but when you're just starting out, you should try and keep your antagonists very limited. You can expand the number of bad guys/girls as you get more advanced at writing stories. But as with most things, start out simple.

I don't agree with this post. It's not necessary in all cases for the author to let the reader know who is good and who is bad. It's unrealistic. I mean, we can't go into a park and say, 'Johnny over there will be a policeman when he grows up. James, however, will hold up three banks, one convenience store and murder a man in cold blood.'

Not to mention, what would a mystery book be if the author said everything.

You've also stated 'defeat that guy/gal' as a possible goal in a book and then stated that this shouldn't be used as a plot.

Also, what's wrong with a number of antagonists. Surely there are groups of evil people working together in places.

Finally, why give all characters equal attention? That makes them all lack personality. It's what you may choose to leave out about certain characters which allows readers to really connect with them.

Also, I don't like the way the first post is written. Just because I'm a picky arsehole. Why are you trying to *narrate* tips to us?

Finally... 'How you write'.... You've used that section and dedicated it to the rules of English... really none of that has anything to do with creative writing at all.

Cloud
02-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Also, I don't like the way the first post is written. Just because I'm a picky arsehole. Why are you trying to *narrate* tips to us?

Its a guide for people who want to start writing their own stories, if you don't like how its written..go make a better one. Sorry but I like being a picky arsehole as well. :'(

Finally... 'How you write'.... You've used that section and dedicated it to the rules of English... really none of that has anything to do with creative writing at all.

So if I wrote a story that makes absolutely no sense at all, poor grammar, no capitalization, I'd get an award for creative writing? Writing is not all about creativity. The first step toward understanding how to get your story ready for others to read and enjoy is to understand that the formatting of your story is essential to make your story look presentable for others to read. Having a well formatted story will look much more inviting for others to take a look at and will be easier on their eyes.

/end

In closing, I definitely want to say that listening to the feedback of your readers is important. While you have already imagined the scenes before in your mind and have written them down, the reader is only seeing it for the first time, and the experience is completely new to them. The ability to post your own written story on a forum is an excellent way to get other readers to give your writing a performance appraisal, which can dramatically help your writing. And, if you’re having difficulty getting other people to read your story and evaluate it, try reading the work of other authors and give them your evaluation. Many authors will likely return the favor if they see you’ve written a story as well. Not only can this help you find others to evaluate your work, but it also lets you see how other authors write their own stories with their own different styles.

King Killa
02-09-2010, 04:19 AM
YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT.

Writing is not all about grammar. It's about the manner in which a story is written which makes an author unique.

PS: I'm not writing any guides about writing...

Writing is not something where you follow guidelines to become good. It's a lot like art. It's about discovering your own style which allows you to ease into the swing of things.

So, why doesn't someone make a guide about how to succeed in life?

Chromosome
02-15-2010, 08:31 AM
The best thing to sound good would be to be precise.
When a person is precise and pretty short with his sentence, the other person reading the sentence interprets it in the simplest way possible and sees at a positive part.
Huge stanzas are only boring to read and it feels like reading the same stuff over and over again.

Absoyena
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT.

Writing is not all about grammar. It's about the manner in which a story is written which makes an author unique.

PS: I'm not writing any guides about writing...

Writing is not something where you follow guidelines to become good. It's a lot like art. It's about discovering your own style which allows you to ease into the swing of things.

So, why doesn't someone make a guide about how to succeed in life?

Well, on the other hand, I'm only trying to give some pointers, as to what you COULD do. It may have sounded a bit ehm..forced from my side, but that was not my intention.

What's more, at the moment I'm (trying to) write a story that will hopefully break some of those "rules" xD.

hijk337
05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
-----

draco
10-22-2010, 04:25 AM
um.. well that would be hard to write like that... i tend to do it RP style...

RaySoul
01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks a million for this,the part about details and the 3 Ws helped me a lot. I come up with decent content for the stories,I've always been told that,but the describtions,the detailing,it was always a bit hard.

I ended up using the same expressions or decriptive advjectives over and over. In other words,my English isn't very rich,in terms of quality,mainly because I'm Portuguese. English is a second language for me