PDA

View Full Version : I'm beginning to think GIMP is better than Photoshop...

Destiny
12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Urgh.. Need help rendering, removing the white background from a Pokemon Picture.

I used these steps in GIMP to render (w/ the alpha channel):
1) Select with the fuzzy select tool on 1 px feathering
2) Grow selection by 1
3) Colour to Alpha

How can I do it in Photoshop? There is no colour to alpha.
When I use the Quick select tool and invert the selection, and cut the render, there is still a white border surrounding my render. There is no colour to alpha. The feather selection works differently.

+Simplistic
12-20-2009, 01:23 PM
This be why GIMP be God, and PhotoShop be PhotoShopping it up, making it look good.

Fatal
12-20-2009, 02:23 PM
that's not rendering :(

be cool and use the pen tool, its the only thing that makes high quality renders on low quality images.

on photoshop, you just select everything and delete it.

Jefff
12-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Am I the only one who uses layer masks?

[edit] In photoshop (and works in the GIMP too), press delete
[edit] But make sure the alpha channel is unlocked

Shadow
12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I never understood how to use those Jeff...

Jefff
12-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I never understood how to use those Jeff...

I'll make a tutorial on how to render with layer masks later today :)

Reefat
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Photo Shop eats GIMP for breakfast lunch and dinner :( And just use the pen tool to go around the render, invert selection and then cut. Feather it if you want to.

+Simplistic
12-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Photo Shop eats GIMP for breakfast lunch and dinner :( And just use the pen tool to go around the render, invert selection and then cut. Feather it if you want to.

Nu uh, PhotoShop PhotoShops itself eating GIMP. Really, it's GIMP that eats PhotoShop.

Ssgoku
12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
If it's just rendering an image from a white background, for Photoshop, all you have to do is select the magic wand tool, select the white background, and press delete. o.o

Jefff
12-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Oh, so you can use LISP to write photoshop plugins? I mean if photoshop is better than GIMP in every way, it allows plugins through LISP, right?

[edit] I think this thread is now officially GIMP vs. Photoshop

+Simplistic
12-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh, so you can use LISP to write photoshop plugins? I mean if photoshop is better than GIMP in every way, it allows plugins through LISP, right?

[edit] I think this thread is now officially GIMP vs. Photoshop

GIMP allows for self-written plugins as well. Or was this showing how PhotoShop is completely controlled by the company it is coded by, and not by the user?

Jefff
12-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah, GIMP plugins are written in LISP (or python or C, as well), I don't even know if Photoshop has any capability at all for user made plugins.

+Simplistic
12-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah, GIMP plugins are written in LISP (or python or C, as well), I don't even know if Photoshop has any capability at all for user made plugins.

It most likely does not, as it has previously been used as a monopoly of sorts.

MaDeMoiSeLLe
12-21-2009, 04:41 AM
I have Photoshop on this laptop and I just downloaded GIMP to my other laptop yesterday, and sweet lord how confusing it is, I thought to myself.

How to erase the white background on Photoshop? Easy peasy. See the "Eraser" icon? Right click on it and choose "Magic Eraser", and simply click on the white background and voila! It's gone :3

So, Photoshop > GIMP. No matter what you so-called techie kids say. :3

Jawa
12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I have Photoshop on this laptop and I just downloaded GIMP to my other laptop yesterday, and sweet lord how confusing it is, I thought to myself.
Yes! That's exactly what I thought. I gave up trying to use GIMP. :(

Jefff
12-21-2009, 10:33 AM

How to erase the white background on Photoshop? Easy peasy. See the "Eraser" icon? Right click on it and choose "Magic Eraser", and simply click on the white background and voila! It's gone :3

So, Photoshop > GIMP. No matter what you so-called techie kids say. :3

Select the magic wand, click, delete.

Jassie
12-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Im pretty sure it does..I think I came across some while looking for a way to replicate Photoshops photo filters in Gimp(Which I found :D ).Some people charge for them though :/

Jefff~Can you PM me the link to the tut when you make it?Always wondered how to use layer masks .-.

Jefff
12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh yah, they're written in some weird languages. I remember talking to you about that.

And I'll post the tutorial in here, I'll PM you when I'm done though. Completely forgot, I'll start like right now.

Jassie
12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Lol..Okay.Thank you very much Jefff :D

Edit:Can I just drop one of the F's when talking to you?

Jefff
12-21-2009, 10:37 PM
GAH >_<
I started writing it when I first posted that, then went and saw Avatar, and then came back and finished it up, and vbulletin wouldn't let me post it because I relogged in since I started writing, and when I hit back got a message that the page expired so I can't see the damn post I spent an hour writing.

Sorry, I probably wont be writing it again, I'm really pissed of at vbulletin.
I can help you with it on YIM later though if you want.

And you can use as many Fs as you want :)

Jassie
12-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Lmao..No problem :p If you feel like it later you can.Ive been rendering with the lasso select tool though.

Destiny
12-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Oopsies. Got my problem, instead of deleting the surrounding area I inverted the selection and cut it, and that left the pix border :lol:

+Simplistic
12-23-2009, 02:08 PM
GAH >_<
I started writing it when I first posted that, then went and saw Avatar, and then came back and finished it up, and vbulletin wouldn't let me post it because I relogged in since I started writing, and when I hit back got a message that the page expired so I can't see the damn post I spent an hour writing.

Sorry, I probably wont be writing it again, I'm really pissed of at vbulletin.
I can help you with it on YIM later though if you want.

And you can use as many Fs as you want :)
So we can call you Je?

Jefff
12-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I didn't say you could, only Jassie gets to decide how many Fs to use.
You still have to call me Jefff >_<

+Simplistic
12-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I thought you loved me. ;-;

Jefff
12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
You're mind is too +simplistic.

Danny
12-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Gimp is crap.
Photoshop is win.
End of story. :]

+Simplistic
12-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Gimp is crap.
Photoshop is win.
End of story. :]
Nah. I think you should stop buying into this Capitalistic propaganda.

A K
12-23-2009, 08:11 PM
in terms of availability GIMP is open source, which has it's ups and downs.
CS4 is better functionally, and can be used in sync with illustrator and indesign a lot better
so really, it depends on what aspect of it is better, what is worse.

you can use the magic wand as suggested
there's also the select colour range tool, which can select a colour and you can adjust the threshold there
when making a transparent background, you can hide the background layer and save as a PSD or PNG which should hold the transparency.

Jefff
12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
"in terms of availability GIMP is open source, which has it's ups and downs."

FLOSS has down sides, in terms of availability?

Jassie
12-23-2009, 11:49 PM

Are you talking about dental floss or something else .-. ?

I guess it really doesnt matter since either way I dont get it :|

Jefff
12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
FLOSS is Free Libre Open Source Software (In other words, open source) :p

Jassie
12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Ah..That makes a bit more sense :p Thanks :]

+Simplistic
12-24-2009, 12:09 AM
"in terms of availability GIMP is open source, which has it's ups and downs."

Yes. You can't get money off of it.

Jefff
12-24-2009, 12:20 AM
How does that affect availability?

And you can, btw, the GPL allows you to distribute software however you like, as long as the source is made available (although, no one ever does, with the exception of cheap Linux discs, and Audacity bundled with audio hardware). BSD style licenses allows you to do anything you want, as long as you credit the original authors.

+Simplistic
12-24-2009, 12:41 AM
How does that affect availability?

And you can, btw, the GPL allows you to distribute software however you like, as long as the source is made available (although, no one ever does, with the exception of cheap Linux discs, and Audacity bundled with audio hardware). BSD style licenses allows you to do anything you want, as long as you credit the original authors.
I know, I was joking.

Ub3r Noob
12-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Urgh.. Need help rendering, removing the white background from a Pokemon Picture.

I used these steps in GIMP to render (w/ the alpha channel):
1) Select with the fuzzy select tool on 1 px feathering
2) Grow selection by 1
3) Colour to Alpha

How can I do it in Photoshop? There is no colour to alpha.
When I use the Quick select tool and invert the selection, and cut the render, there is still a white border surrounding my render. There is no colour to alpha. The feather selection works differently.

Click the magic wand tool. Click the background. Press delete.

freefall
12-29-2009, 12:40 AM
depending on what i want to use them for, PS can be as good as GIMP, if not better. but imo the best program for recolouring a sprite is MS paint. :3

Tomberry-King
12-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Can someone tell me how to get pictures from photoshop to Photobucket ? please ?

When i'm on photobucket i try to upload my pictures from photoshop but, nothings there.
When i go to my Documents i see it, but when i'm tryin to upload it, it does'nt appear :S

Help !!

Jefff
12-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Can someone tell me how to get pictures from photoshop to Photobucket ? please ?

When i'm on photobucket i try to upload my pictures from photoshop but, nothings there.
When i go to my Documents i see it, but when i'm tryin to upload it, it does'nt appear :S

Help !!

I don't get what this has to do with Gimp vs. Photoshop?

Regardless, save as png or jpeg first, you can't upload psds.

Tomberry-King
12-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Sorry i just needed some help thats all. :lol: Thankz anyway