PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon, Is the devil

DTV
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
All i got to say is LOL!~

No, Pokemon is not the Devil, but there are some people think it is. Meet Phil Arms, a pastor, who’s not quite fond of Pokemon:

It’s old news, now new news thanks to YouTube. The video was probably taken around the year 2000. Phil Arms actually wrote a book titled Pokemon & Harry Potter: A Fatal Attraction that was published back in 2000 (lots of bad reviews). The video itself is real (you can buy a copy of the video off his website), but it’s hard to say whether the Pokemon images in the video were edited in intentionally, or someone else did that to make it seem more outrageous. I say that because Jigglypuff shows up on the video when the pastor talks about the devil. If that was intentional, that’s some timing to put a cute pink Pokemon on there while talking about Pokemon is the Devil.

I’ve heard stories directly from visitors of this site years ago that their church discourages Pokemon or bans Pokemon. In one situation, someone told me that their parents threw away all their Pokemon cards after hearing about how their church dislikes Pokemon. Some parents follow the advice, some don’t. Such stories have shown up in the news a long time ago, including one about pastor Mark Juvera, who led a burning of Pokemon cards and stabbing of Pokemon figures with a sword in front of a crowd of children.

Of course, just because some churches don’t quite like Pokemon, doesn’t mean all of them are like that. Take youth ministry group leader, Paul Masek, for example. He makes a comparison between Ash and Jesus: “The nicest Pokemon trainer is Ash, and in some ways, Ash is like Jesus.” He explains that “it is helpful to speak to them in a language that they can understand and which gets their attention.” A USA Today article also defends Pokemon from the “Devil” criticism. No, Pokemon is not the Devil, but there are some people think it is. Meet Phil Arms, a pastor, who’s not quite fond of Pokemon:

It’s old news, now new news thanks to YouTube. The video was probably taken around the year 2000. Phil Arms actually wrote a book titled Pokemon & Harry Potter: A Fatal Attraction that was published back in 2000 (lots of bad reviews). The video itself is real (you can buy a copy of the video off his website), but it’s hard to say whether the Pokemon images in the video were edited in intentionally, or someone else did that to make it seem more outrageous. I say that because Jigglypuff shows up on the video when the pastor talks about the devil. If that was intentional, that’s some timing to put a cute pink Pokemon on there while talking about Pokemon is the Devil.

I’ve heard stories directly from visitors of this site years ago that their church discourages Pokemon or bans Pokemon. In one situation, someone told me that their parents threw away all their Pokemon cards after hearing about how their church dislikes Pokemon. Some parents follow the advice, some don’t. Such stories have shown up in the news a long time ago, including one about pastor Mark Juvera, who led a burning of Pokemon cards and stabbing of Pokemon figures with a sword in front of a crowd of children.

Of course, just because some churches don’t quite like Pokemon, doesn’t mean all of them are like that. Take youth ministry group leader, Paul Masek, for example. He makes a comparison between Ash and Jesus: “The nicest Pokemon trainer is Ash, and in some ways, Ash is like Jesus.” He explains that “it is helpful to speak to them in a language that they can understand and which gets their attention.” A USA Today article also defends Pokemon from the “Devil” criticism.

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNb3xJFzkc

This is funny :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcF4CxWpzX0&feature=player_embedded

Xynic
12-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Houndoom is a devil dog D:

Tim
12-19-2009, 11:48 AM
http://forums.tppc.info/showthread.php?t=3089
GG

Marluxia
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
IDIOT!I posted that already idiot!

Tim
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
IDIOT!I posted that already idiot!

You're both idiots, according to you. http://forums.tppc.info/showthread.php?t=2976

Xpl0$ivem0m
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Pikachu is Satan guys.

Marluxia
12-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Never seen that thread tim.not kidding.

DTV
12-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Tim : sh..
Marluxia : to bad i posted the story not a fony link

Marluxia
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Tim : sh..
Marluxia : to bad i posted the story not a fony link

Fu- nevermind.

Jawa
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
GG man.

DTV
12-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Marluxia : Get over it i didn't know ok nub head
don't tempt me to report u :mad:

Gramm
12-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Pokemon, is Charles Darwin meets cockfighting

Marluxia
12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Marluxia : Get over it i didn't know ok nub head
don't tempt me to report u :mad:

pfft.

Jawa
12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Lmao. Best metaphor ever. Thanks for the laugh.

Marluxia
12-19-2009, 12:06 PM

funniest thing ive heard all day.

abhiraj005
12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Lol, you wrote a huge essay there and i always feel bore to read huge posts.

Elixer
12-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Does anyone notice the post is the same thing twice?

Jawa
12-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah.

Cody the Master
12-19-2009, 07:13 PM

yep, my IQ dropped a few points cuz of it

Danny
12-19-2009, 07:34 PM
this thread is full of fail

Devolution
12-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Yes but DTV fails more than the whole thread u know.

Ichigo Uzumaki
12-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Old **** is old.

Shadow
12-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Lol, you wrote a huge essay there and i always feel bore to read huge posts.

Just taking a guess, but I'm pretty sure it was "copy-pasted" hence the repetition.

Ichigo Uzumaki
12-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Just taking a guess, but I'm pretty sure it was "copy-pasted" hence the repetition.

It was copy pasted two years ago too. Back when it was new. I think it was Mire that did it then though. Or somone like that.

Crazy
12-19-2009, 09:02 PM
lol His son probably didn't spend enough time with him, so he was taking it out on Pokemon...
LMAO Jigglypuff= devil ... beware everybody

Houndoom
12-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Houndoom is a devil dog D:

Absurd .

DTV
12-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Yes but DTV fails more than the whole thread u know.
I think you do :lol: