PDA

View Full Version : PC or Alienware?

Schwein
01-22-2010, 03:11 AM
I was wondering, since I'm not a tech savvy, should I buy an alienware laptop or make a PC for the same price? Mind giving me some inputs?

Rose of Contempted
01-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Depends on your preference on laptops and custom build desktop computers. If you are just casual about what you do on your computer, then by all means you can go and buy a manufacturer PC/Laptop. Gamer you can do the same as if you were casual, nothing wrong with that.. but the draw back with buying a pre-build computer; it can be tedious and difficult in part replacement. While a custom build computer, you have full range in what you can do with it.

Now a days... both Laptops and Desktop are quite affordable and can sustain any person casual needs.. and maybe some decent gaming if at that. Even building your own can run you around the same price if not less than $1,000. Getting everything at about $100 ~ $120 more or less (Motherboard, Power supply, case, processor, heatsink, hard drive... etc) can round you about under $1,000 just by making it yourself, if not more or so less.

Again this is base on your preference on what you do with computers and/or laptops. Casual, gaming, or both.. which any whether it's a manufacturer built or custom built.. it can more or less cost the same.. or less when it's custom built. For me, mine is custom built, and it cost less than any of the manufactures computers.. but now things are just dropping in price that you can get a decent desktop or laptop about 1200 or even less. Same for building one your own.

Search around online, such as newegg for computer parts and prices, the alienware website.. and see what is affordable and convenient for you. I mean heck, you can get a Intel Core 2duo 2.93ghz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115056) for $119.99. Before these things goes for more than that. So I mean.. it just up to you really, and what you really want to do with it. If you want to have something you made your own, and have the ability to fully customize everything from interior and out.. then go for it.. if you don't want to hassle yourself with these things, and not as tech savvy as you say.. then go for a pre-built computer by a manufacture like alienware.. or gateway.

Splurge
01-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Well, since the previous post hardly made any sense, I'll say this:
Alienware is truly overpriced and you can build a computer with the same specs for much less. I don't know where you live, but in the US, you can spend as little as $400-500 to build a budget gaming PC. Obviously, you can spend upwards of $1000 and $2000 for a higher end gaming PC as well. :x If you look around, you can also find really awesome deals on gaming PCs that turn out to be cheaper than building your own. Besides, it probably isn't the best to game on a laptop.
So, if you were to take the amount of money you would spend on a alienware laptop...you could probably build a really awesome desktop PC that would be better than the alienware instead

William
01-22-2010, 10:25 AM
best choice is Alienware because they are super fast plus got alot of fans to cool your computer down

freefall
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
best choice is Alienware because they are super fast plus got alot of fans to cool your computer down

actually, the best choice is to build your own. a friend actually managed to find the parts used in an alienware comp separately for about £300 less than the comp would have cost.

Schwein
01-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the input. But yeah, my choice is about 55% towards the alienware since I'm leaving aboard and tend to travel from time to time. But still though, still checking about prices and effectiveness. Again, thanks for all of the inputs.

Fatal
01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the input. But yeah, my choice is about 55% towards the alienware since I'm leaving aboard and tend to travel from time to time. But still though, still checking about prices and effectiveness. Again, thanks for all of the inputs.
Alienware is much, much more expensive than its parts are.

And it's Dell.

They aren't any better than computers with around the same specs/parts, just about twice as expensive.

Charizard
01-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Alienware is much, much more expensive than its parts are.

And it's Dell.

They aren't any better than computers with around the same specs/parts, just about twice as expensive.
Dont forget crappy outsourced tech support.

SangoLove
01-23-2010, 10:51 PM
If you can wait for another mystery coupon event and maybe get a 50 or 75% off coupon from Dell, then by all means go for it.