PDA

View Full Version : Need help on GIMP

Ilyas786
01-15-2010, 06:20 PM
On GIMP, how do I do the glow effect for the Pokemon on banners and sprites, it would be really helpful if I new so I could make better sprites with them.

kakashi
01-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Well I haven't used gimp in about 2 years, but on Photoshop you double click the final layer (the applied image) and click outerglow.

+Simplistic
01-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Well I haven't used gimp in about 2 years, but on Photoshop you double click the final layer (the applied image) and click outerglow.
Thanks for the useless post; your post pertains to PhotoShop, while his question is for GIMP.

On topic: Can you please show me an example of this effect so I can help?

Fatal
01-16-2010, 01:01 AM
On GIMP, how do I do the glow effect for the Pokemon on banners and sprites, it would be really helpful if I new so I could make better sprites with them.
there's a plugin somewhere, but what i do is duplicate the layer, gauss blur it a few times, then colorize. duplicate/add effects if necessary.

Ilyas786
01-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the useless post; your post pertains to PhotoShop, while his question is for GIMP.

Something like this (http://www.wsgrpg.net/sprites/Neon/Teddiursa.png).

Reefat
01-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Just duplicate and Gaussian blur...

Shadow
01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Or if you want a single color blur, do a "Layer" - "Transparency" - "Alpha to Selection", then go to "Select" - "Grow" And grow by two. Fill the selection with the color of choice, and cancel the selection. Then go to "Filters" - "Blur" - "Gaussian Blur" and blur by your choice of level.

Jefff
01-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Give me about an hour, I'll make a script to do this for you.

kakashi
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM

does it concern you? i was stating that it should be similar for gimp in some way.

Jefff
01-16-2010, 11:31 PM
http://github.com/jeffayle/Script-Fu/raw/master/glow.scm

Put it in your scripts folder (it will be in the same place as the other gimp folders; fonts, brushes, et cetera), and restart gimp or or click on <Image>/Filters/Script-fu/refresh scripts.

Adds the menu item <Image>/Filters/Decor/Add Glow

Ilyas786
01-17-2010, 05:44 AM
http://github.com/jeffayle/Script-Fu/raw/master/glow.scm

Put it in your scripts folder (it will be in the same place as the other gimp folders; fonts, brushes, et cetera), and restart gimp or or click on <Image>/Filters/Script-fu/refresh scripts.

Adds the menu item <Image>/Filters/Decor/Add Glow

What?

Ilyas786
01-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Or if you want a single color blur, do a "Layer" - "Transparency" - "Alpha to Selection", then go to "Select" - "Grow" And grow by two. Fill the selection with the color of choice, and cancel the selection. Then go to "Filters" - "Blur" - "Gaussian Blur" and blur by your choice of level.

Fill selection with colour of choice?

Laweegie
01-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Just duplicate and Gaussian blur...

This is basically all you need to do if you don't understand any of the really complicated things.

Jefff
01-17-2010, 10:35 AM
What?

"What" what?

Ilyas786
01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
"What" what?

I didn't understand.

Jefff
01-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I didn't understand.

Save that file I linked above in your gimp scripts folder, it will be in the same place as the other gimp resource folders, like brushes and fonts. On windows, I think it's in c:\Documents and Settings\username\.gimp(version)\scripts.

After saving it in there, restart gimp, open the image you want, and go to <Image>/Filters/Decor/Add Glow in the menu.

[edit] The file might take a while to download, but it's working, just a slow server.

Shadow
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Fill selection with colour of choice?

Use the paint bucket. -.-

dextrouse
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Save that file I linked above in your gimp scripts folder, it will be in the same place as the other gimp resource folders, like brushes and fonts. On windows, I think it's in c:\Documents and Settings\username\.gimp(version)\scripts.

After saving it in there, restart gimp, open the image you want, and go to <Image>/Filters/Decor/Add Glow in the menu.

[edit] The file might take a while to download, but it's working, just a slow server.

how do we add the code?what program do we use

Jefff
01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
how do we add the code?what program do we use

You just save the file I linked above in the directory named "Scripts", and it will be an item in the menu.

Ilyas786
01-20-2010, 03:45 AM

How do I save it? Copy and Paste the webpage or some other way?

kakashi
01-20-2010, 04:41 PM
download the .txt file or save it in notepad. (by copying and pasting it)

Jefff
01-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Click the link, when it loads, go to file > save